P.C. (Peter) Bell
Office/Building #: 3R08A - Ivey
Phone Number: (519) 661-3288
BA (Hons.), MA (Oxford); MBA, PhD (Chicago)
Management Science for Competitive Advantage: BA senior, and MBA year
Management Science and Statistics: Executive MBA
program core course.
Executive (short courses) in Management Science, Business Statistics,
and Revenue Management.
- Management Science and Business Statistics: undergraduate and MBA
Author or coauthor of 15
books, more than 50 articles, and more than 100 cases.
Management Science/Operations Research: A Strategic
Perspective, SouthWestern Publishing, Cincinnati, Ohio 1999.
Statistics for Business with Spreadsheets: Text and
Scientific Press (Second Edition), South San Francisco, California, 1992 (with E. F. P.
Operations Research and the Edelman Prize Finalist Applications 1989-1998”,
(with C K Anderson and S. P. Kaiser) Operations Research 52, 1
“In Search of Strategic Management
Science/Operations Research”, (with C.K. Anderson) Interfaces, 32, 2,
March-April 2002, 28-40.
- "Strategic Operational Research", Journal of the
Operational Research Society, 49, 4, April 1998, 381-391.
- "A Visual Interactive Decision Support System to Assist the
Design of a New Production Unit" (with Patrick Chau), INFOR, 34, 2, 118-132.
- "An Experimental Investigation into the Efficacy of Visual
Interactive Simulation" (with R. O'Keefe), Management Science, 41, 6,
- "Designing Effective Simulation-Based Decision Support Systems:
An Empirical Assessment of Three Types of Decision Support System" (with Patrick
Chau), Journal of the Operational Research Society, 46, 3, 315-331.
- "Visualization and Optimization: The Future Lies Together",
ORSA Journal on Computing, 6, 3, 258-260.
- Editor-in-Chief, International Transactions in Operational
Research, (1993 - 2000 )
- International editorial advisory board, Journal of
the Operational Research Society (1999-)
- Editorial Board, Omega: The International Journal of
Management Science (1994 - )
- Associate Editor, INFOR (1990 - )
- Vice President, International Activities, INFORMS
(2002 - )
- Member of the Council of the College on the Practice
of Management Science (2002 - )
- Judge Franz Edelman Award for Management Science
Achievement (2000 - )
- Judge Daniel H. Wagner Prize competition (2002-
- President, International Federation of Operational Research
- North American Vice-President, International Federation of
Operational Research Societies (1989-91)
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board for the Encyclopedia
of OR and MS, Klewer Academic Publishers 1996
- The Institute of Management Sciences: elected Member of the
- President, Canadian Operational Research Society (1985-86)
- Visiting Professor, London Business School (UK)
- Visiting fellow, Warwick Business School (UK)
- C-I-L Distinguished Lecturer, Wilfrid Laurier
- Chevron Distinguished Visiting Professor, Simon Fraser
- President and Chair of the Board, Meals On Wheels, London
- President, Nor'West Optimist Club of London
Strategic Management Science
Operational Research and Management Science
Peter C. Bell earned BA and MA degrees from Oxford University and MBA and PhD degrees at the
Graduate School of Business, the University of Chicago, and is a Professor of Management
Science and Information Systems at Ivey.
He serves as a consultant to corporations, hospitals, small businesses, charities, and
government agencies in the areas of operations and/or computer systems. He recently
advised a major mining company on the design of two major systems, and a fuel company on
the management of their fleet of heavy vehicles.
Bell's research interests include strategic management science/operations research,
business decision-making, revenue management, computer modeling, technology to improve
management productivity, statistical analysis, and interactive computer graphics.
In the community, Bell is a Past-President of the Nor'West Optimist Club of London, and
was formerly President and Chairman of the Board of Meals-on-Wheels London. In his spare
time, he plays golf, and collects and restores classic British motorcycles.