Assistant Professor, General Management
- MBA ’80 Faculty Fellow
Caroline Flammer is an assistant professor of strategy at the Ivey Business School. Before joining Ivey, she was a postdoctoral researcher at MIT Sloan School of Management. She holds a Ph.D. in economics from the University of St. Gallen.
Caroline's research interests are in the area of competitive strategy. In particular, she studies the antecedents and consequences of long-term corporate strategies such as innovation and corporate social responsibility. A common theme of her research is that long-term strategies can create value and improve firms’ competitiveness. Her work has appeared in leading academic journals, including the Academy of Management Journal, Management Science, and the Strategic Management Journal. Caroline is the recipient of the prestigious Moskowitz Prize for Best Paper in Socially Responsible Investing, the Glueck Best Paper Award of the BPS Division of the Academy of Management, and most recently, the 2015 ARCS Sustainability Scholar Award. She teaches Corporations & Society: Business Strategy and Sustainability in Ivey's HBA program.
- HBA: Corporations & Society: Business Strategy and Sustainability
- PhD, University of St. Gallen
- Lic. oec., University of St. Gallen
- Flammer C, Kacperczyk AJ. 2015. The Impact of Stakeholder Orientation on Innovation: Evidence from a Natural Experiment, Management Science, forthcoming.
- Flammer C, Luo J. 2015. Corporate Social Responsibility as an Employee Governance Tool: Evidence from a Quasi-Experiment, Strategic Management Journal, forthcoming.
- Flammer C. 2015. Does Corporate Social Responsibility Lead to Superior Financial Performance? A Regression Discontinuity Approach. Management Science, 61(11): 2549–2568.
- Flammer C. 2015. Does Product Market Competition Foster Corporate Social Responsibility? Evidence from Trade Liberalization. Strategic Management Journal, 36(10): 1469–1485.
- Flammer C. 2013. Corporate Social Responsibility and Shareholder Reaction: The Environmental Awareness of Investors. Academy of Management Journal, 56(3): 758–781.
- Flammer C., Kacperczyk A. 2014. In Search of Spark: The Impact of Stakeholder Orientation on Innovation. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings, BPS Division.
- Flammer C. 2013. The Impact of Product Market Competition on Corporate Social Responsibility. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings, BPS Division.