Assistant Professor, Marketing
Dante M. Pirouz is an Assistant Professor of Marketing at the Ivey Business School. In 2010, Professor Pirouz earned her Ph.D. from the Paul Merage School of Business at the University of California, Irvine. Previously she received a B.A. from the University of California, Los Angeles, an M.A. from the University of Pennsylvania, and an M.B.A. from the Wharton School of Business.
Professor Pirouz is interested in the "dark side" of risky consumer behaviour. She uses both neuroscience and cognitive science tools and theories to examine this important research area. Her dissertation, "The Dark Side of Product Attachment: Reactivity of Non-users and Users to Addictive Product Advertising," looks at the effect of advertising on cigarette smokers and non-smokers using brain images generated by functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI).
Dante was awarded the University of California Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program Dissertation Award and a research grant from the General Clinical Research Center, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, with funds provided by the National Center for Research Resources, 5M01RR 00827-29, U.S. Public Health Service. She also won the 2009 Society of Consumer Psychology and the 2010 Marketing Institute Alden G. Clayton Dissertation Proposal Award. She was most recently awarded the University of California, Irvine Social Impact Award for her research.
Dante also has over 10 years of corporate experience working internationally for firms in advertising, marketing and new business development.
- Marketing Products and Services (MBA) Spring, 2011 & 2012
- Global Marketing Planning (Executive MBA) Winter, 2011 & 2012
- Global Marketing (Quantum Shift Fellows Program) Spring, 2011
- PhD, University of California, Irvine
- MBA, Wharton School of Business
- MA, University of Pennsylvania
- BA (Cum laude), University of California, Los Angeles
- Jeffrey, Jennifer, Jodie Whelan, Dante M. Pirouz and Anne Snowdon, “Risk Assessment in Booster Seat Use,” Accident Analysis and Prevention (in press 2016).
- Leonhardt, James M., Jesse R. Catlin, and Dante M. Pirouz. “Is Your Product Facing the Ad's Center? Facing Direction Affects Processing Fluency and Ad Evaluation.” Journal of Advertising 44, no. 4 (2015): 315-325.
- Pezzuti, Todd, Dante M. Pirouz, and Cornelia Pechmann. “The effects of advertising models for age-restricted products and self-concept discrepancy on advertising outcomes among young adolescents.” Journal of Consumer Psychology 25, no. 3 (2015): 519–529.
- Pirouz, Dante M., Allison R. Johnson, Matthew Thomson, and Raymond Pirouz. “Creating Online Videos That Engage Viewers.” MIT Sloan Management Review 56, no. 4 (2015): 83-88.
- Pettigrew, Simone, Laurel Anderson, Wendy Boland, Valérie-Inés de La Ville, Ilaisaane, Marie-Hélène Fosse-Gomez, Marie Kindt, Laura Luukkanen, Ingrid Martin, Lucie K. Ozanne, Dante M. Pirouz, Andy Prothero, Tony Stovall. “The Experience of Risk in Families: Conceptualizations and Implications for Transformative Consumer Research.” Journal of Marketing Management 30 (2014): 17-18.
- Martin, Ingrid M., Michael A. Kamins, Dante M. Pirouz, Scott W. Davis, Kelly L. Haws, Ann M. Mirabito, Sayantani Mukherjee, Justine M. Rapp, and Aditi Grover. “On the road to addiction: The facilitative and preventive roles of marketing cues.” Journal of Business Research 66, no. 8 (2013): 1219-1226.
- Pechmann, Cornelia, Elizabeth S. Moore, Alan R. Andreasen, Paul M. Connell, Dan Freeman, Meryl P. Gardner, Deborah Heisley, R. Craig Lefebvre, Dante M. Pirouz, and Robin L. Soster. “Navigating the central tensions in research on at-risk consumers: challenges and opportunities.” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing 30, no. 1 (2011): 23-30.
Works in Progress
- Pirouz, Dante M., Cornelia (Connie) Pechmann and Paul F. Rodriguez, “Craving Resistance: An fMRI Study of Reactivity of Product Users and Non-users for an Addictive Product,” under review at Journal of Consumer Psychology, under 2nd round review.
- Pirouz, Dante M., Allison Johnson, Raymond Pirouz and Matt Thomson, “Exploding the Myth of Viral Videos and the Epic Fail: An Exploration of Why Communications Capture the Market's Imagination” under review at Journal of Marketing.
- Tithecott, Gary, M.D, Dr. Michael J. Rieder, M.D., Lorelei Lingard, Dante M. Pirouz, “Effect of Pharmaceutical Marketing on Medical Students' Education,” in preparation for submission to Journal of Medical Education - Expected submission July 2012
- Pirouz, Dante M., Cornelia (Connie) Pechmann and Tim DeWhirst, “The Abstainer's Dilemma,” in preparation for submission to Lancet - Expected submission August 2012
- Hurst, Charlice and Dante M. Pirouz, “Psychopathy and Models of Leadership and Influence” in preparation for submission to Psychological Science - Expected submission August 2012
- Pechmann, Cornelia (Connie), Dante M. Pirouz, and Todd Pezzuti, “Age Effects for Adolescents on Identification and Disidentification with Role Models,” in preparation for submission to Journal of Marketing Research. - Expected submission September 2012
- Leonhardt, Jim, Dante M. Pirouz, and Jesse Catlin, “Lateral Orientation Affects Preference, Perceived Usability and Intent to Purchase Via Processing Fluency,” in preparation for submission to Journal of Consumer Psychology. - Expected submission December 2012
- Pechmann, Cornelia (Connie), Dante M. Pirouz, Todd Pezzuti, “A Symbolic Interactionism Theory Explanation on the Effect of Referent Age on Adolescent Risk Behavior,” in preparation for submission to Journal of Consumer Research. - Expected submission January 2013
Honours & Awards
- SSHRC 4A Research Grant ($6,000) 2012
- Western University/Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry Faculty Support for Research in Education Grant ($5,000) 2012
- Auto21 Research Grant ($27,400) 2012
- Ian O. Ihnatowycz Institute for Leadership Cross Enterprise Research Grant ($8,000) 2012 - Joint grant with Charlice Hurst, For psychopathy research project
- SSHRC 4A Research Grant ($6,000) 2011
- Sheth Foundation/Academy of Marketing Science Conference Travel Grant ($1,000) 2010
- UCI Social Impact Dissertation Award - Honorable Mention ($1,000) 2010
- Marketing Science Institute Alden G. Clayton Dissertation Proposal Award ($5,000) 2010
- Society of Consumer Psychology Dissertation Proposal Award ($1,000) 2009
- UC Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program Dissertation Research Award ($30,500) 2009 - Ranked 100th percentile; Highest rated proposal reviewed, Scientific merit score = 1.48/5.00 (1.00 = outstanding)
- UCI General Clinical Research Center/National Institutes of Health Research Grant ($2,600) 2006 - 2010
- R35 Consulting, Los Angeles, CA, Principal/CFO
- DIRECTV International, Los Angeles, CA, New Business Development Manager - Asia
- Young & Rubicam Advertising, New York, NY, Senior Account Executive, International Accounts
- BMW, AG, Munich, Germany, International Marketing Manager
- Addictive consumption
- The effects of advertising on risky behavior
- The neuroscience of consumer decision making
- “A Couple of Squares,” with Raymond Pirouz, Dina Ribbink, and Emily Bendle, Ivey Publishing in development, forthcoming 2013.
- “Cargill India.,” with Chandrasekhar R, Ivey Publishing in development, forthcoming 2013.
- “InnerFocus,” with Ken Mark, Ivey Publishing in development, forthcoming 2013.
- “Mountain Equipment Co-op,” with Raymond Pirouz and Ken Mark, Ivey Publishing, in development, forthcoming 2012.
- “Salesbrain,” with Chandrasekhar R, Ivey Publishing, 9B12A005, 2012, 12 pages. - Teaching Note 8B12A005, 4 pages.
- “Porsche Cars Canada: Selling Winter Driving,” with Ken Mark, Ivey Publishing, 9B11A021, 2011, 22 pages. - Teaching Note 8B11A021, 7 pages.
- “Sushilicious: New Media Launch,” with Raymond Pirouz and Ken Mark, Ivey Publishing, 9B11A035, 2011, 19 pages. - Teaching Note 8B11A035, 5 pages.
- “Campbell's Soup: Market Research for Label Redesign,” with Chandrasekhar R, Ivey Publishing, 9B11A029, 2011, 14 pages. - Teaching Note 8B11A029, 9 pages.