Assistant Professor, Marketing
Dante M. Pirouz is an Assistant Professor of Marketing at the Ivey Business School. In 2010, Professor Pirouz earned her Ph.D. from the Paul Merage School of Business at the University of California, Irvine. Previously she received a B.A. from the University of California, Los Angeles, an M.A. from the University of Pennsylvania, and an M.B.A. from the Wharton School of Business.
Professor Pirouz is interested in the "dark side" of risky consumer behaviour. She uses both neuroscience and cognitive science tools and theories to examine this important research area. Her dissertation, "The Dark Side of Product Attachment: Reactivity of Non-users and Users to Addictive Product Advertising," looks at the effect of advertising on cigarette smokers and non-smokers using brain images generated by functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI).
Dante was awarded the University of California Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program Dissertation Award and a research grant from the General Clinical Research Center, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, with funds provided by the National Center for Research Resources, 5M01RR 00827-29, U.S. Public Health Service. She also won the 2009 Society of Consumer Psychology and the 2010 Marketing Institute Alden G. Clayton Dissertation Proposal Award. She was most recently awarded the University of California, Irvine Social Impact Award for her research.
Dante also has over 10 years of corporate experience working internationally for firms in advertising, marketing and new business development.
- Marketing Products and Services (MBA) Spring, 2011 & 2012
- Global Marketing Planning (Executive MBA) Winter, 2011 & 2012
- Global Marketing (Quantum Shift Fellows Program) Spring, 2011
- PhD, University of California, Irvine
- MBA, Wharton School of Business
- MA, University of Pennsylvania
- BA (Cum laude), University of California, Los Angeles
- Martin, Ingrid, Mike Kamins, Dante M. Pirouz, Scott Davis, Kelly Haws, Ann M. Mirabito, Sayantani Mukherjee, Justine Rapp, and Aditi Grover. (2013), "On the Road to Addiction: The Facilitative and Preventative Roles of Marketing Cues," Journal of Business Research.
- Martin, Ingrid, Mike Kamens, Aditi Grover, Sayantani Mukherjee, Kelly Haws, Ann M. Mirabito, Scott Davis, Dante M. Pirouz, and Justine Rapp (2012), "From Use to Abuse: When Everyday Consumption Behaviours Morph into Addictive Consumptive Behaviours," Journal of Research for Consumers.
- Pechmann, Cornelia (Connie), Elizabeth Moore, Alan Andreasen, Paul M. Connell, Daniel Freeman, Meryl Gardner, Deborah Heisley, Craig Lefebvre, Dante M. Pirouz and Robin Soster (2011), "Learning about At Risk Consumers: Research Challenges and Opportunities," Journal of Public Policy and Marketing.
- Litt, Ab, Dante M. Pirouz, and Baba Shiv (2011), "Neuroscience and Addictive Consumption," in Transformative Consumer Research for Personal and Collective Well Being: Reviews and Frontiers, ed. David Mick and Cornelia (Connie) Pechmann, London, UK: Taylor & Francis.
- Pirouz, Dante M. (2010), "Neuroeconomics," in 21st Century Economics: A Reference Handbook, ed. Rhona Free, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Pirouz, Dante M. (2009), "Book Review of Neuroeconomics: A Guide to the New Science of Decision Making by Peter Politser," Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology and Economics.
- Pirouz, Dante M. (2008), "Behavioral Economics," in Encyclopedia of Social Psychology, Vol. 1, ed. R. F. Baumeister and Kathleen D. Vohs, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 105-8.
- Pirouz, Dante M. (2006), "An Overview of Partial Least Squares," in SSRN eLibrary: http://ssrn.com/paper=1631359.
Honours & Awards
- SSHRC 4A Research Grant ($6,000) 2012
- Western University/Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry Faculty Support for Research in Education Grant ($5,000) 2012
- Auto21 Research Grant ($27,400) 2012
- Ian O. Ihnatowycz Institute for Leadership Cross Enterprise Research Grant ($8,000) 2012 - Joint grant with Charlice Hurst, For psychopathy research project
- SSHRC 4A Research Grant ($6,000) 2011
- Sheth Foundation/Academy of Marketing Science Conference Travel Grant ($1,000) 2010
- UCI Social Impact Dissertation Award - Honorable Mention ($1,000) 2010
- Marketing Science Institute Alden G. Clayton Dissertation Proposal Award ($5,000) 2010
- Society of Consumer Psychology Dissertation Proposal Award ($1,000) 2009
- UC Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program Dissertation Research Award ($30,500) 2009 - Ranked 100th percentile; Highest rated proposal reviewed, Scientific merit score = 1.48/5.00 (1.00 = outstanding)
- UCI General Clinical Research Center/National Institutes of Health Research Grant ($2,600) 2006 - 2010
- R35 Consulting, Los Angeles, CA, Principal/CFO
- DIRECTV International, Los Angeles, CA, New Business Development Manager - Asia
- Young & Rubicam Advertising, New York, NY, Senior Account Executive, International Accounts
- BMW, AG, Munich, Germany, International Marketing Manager
- Addictive consumption
- The effects of advertising on risky behavior
- The neuroscience of consumer decision making
- “A Couple of Squares,” with Raymond Pirouz, Dina Ribbink, and Emily Bendle, Ivey Publishing in development, forthcoming 2013.
- “Cargill India.,” with Chandrasekhar R, Ivey Publishing in development, forthcoming 2013.
- “InnerFocus,” with Ken Mark, Ivey Publishing in development, forthcoming 2013.
- “Mountain Equipment Co-op,” with Raymond Pirouz and Ken Mark, Ivey Publishing, in development, forthcoming 2012.
- “Salesbrain,” with Chandrasekhar R, Ivey Publishing, 9B12A005, 2012, 12 pages. - Teaching Note 8B12A005, 4 pages.
- “Porsche Cars Canada: Selling Winter Driving,” with Ken Mark, Ivey Publishing, 9B11A021, 2011, 22 pages. - Teaching Note 8B11A021, 7 pages.
- “Sushilicious: New Media Launch,” with Raymond Pirouz and Ken Mark, Ivey Publishing, 9B11A035, 2011, 19 pages. - Teaching Note 8B11A035, 5 pages.
- “Campbell's Soup: Market Research for Label Redesign,” with Chandrasekhar R, Ivey Publishing, 9B11A029, 2011, 14 pages. - Teaching Note 8B11A029, 9 pages.