Associate Professor, General Management
Michael is an associate professor, strategy and organization, at the Ivey Business School. He also holds a cross-appointment as assistant professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Schulich School of Medicine at Western University.
Michael previously taught MSc., executive and corporate MBA programs at Leeds University Business School in the United Kingdom and undergraduate, CIMA, ACCA, MBA and DBA programs at De Montfort University, UK. He has taught on the HBA (honours business administration), MBA and Executive MBA programs here at Ivey, and he currently teaches strategic analysis and action on Ivey's Executive MBA program. He also teaches HBA and MBA electives in Biotechnology/ Pharmaceutical Strategy and the prerequisite Health Sector course on Ivey’s Health Sector MBA stream.
Recently (2012), Michael was awarded the prestigious David G. Burgoyne Teaching Award and has received several awards for excellence in teaching in business.
Michael was in business for 25 years before moving to academia and completing his PhD at the University of Calgary in 2000. His expertise is strategy, specializing in organizational learning and knowledge translation for competitive advantage in global business and health contexts. His current research explores the linkage between workplace wellness programs and competitive advantage. He is the principal investigator and leader of a cross-disciplinary research team testing, “The Impact of Sun Life Financial’s HealthyRETURNS Workplace Wellness Program on Employee Wellness, Productivity and 2-Year Healthcare Costs.”
Michael’s work has been published in high impact business journals including the Strategic Management Journal, Implementation Science, the Journal of Public Health Policy, Management Learning and the Journal of World Business. He has served as guest editor of two journals, has written eighteen business cases, and has co-authored five books. He also sits on two private sector boards of directors.
- BA, Hons - Calgary
- MA, Calgary
- PhD, Calgary
- Kothari, Anita, Debbie Rudman, Maureen Dobbins, Michael J. Rouse, Shannon Sibbald and Nancy Edwards. (2012) The use of tacit and explicit knowledge in public health: A qualitative study. Implementation Science, 7(20).
- Rowe, Glenn, James O’Brien, Michael J. Rouse and Robert Nixon. (2012) Navy Stories: Behavioural versus Professional Control, Journal of Management Inquiry, 21(1): 61-77.
- Sibbald, Shannon, Kothari, Anita, Debbie Rudman, Maureen Dobbins, Michael J. Rouse, Nancy Edwards, Dana Gore. (2012) Partnerships in Public Health: Lessons from Knowledge Translation and Program Planning. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research, 44(1): 94-119.
- Lencucha, Raphael, Ronald Labonte, Michael J. Rouse 2010. "Beyond Idealism and Realism: Canadian NGO/Government Relations during the negotiation of the FCTC." Journal of Public Health Policy, 31(1): 74-87.
- Elliott, Carole, Michael J. Rouse, and Dusya Vera. 2008. "Learning Fusion: Introduction to the Dedicated Organizational Learning, Knowledge and Capabilities Issue." Management Learning, Vol. 39: 371-374.
- Ainuddin, R. Azimah, Paul Beamish, John S. Hulland and Michael J. Rouse. 2007. "Resource attributes and firm performance in international joint ventures." Journal of World Business 42(1): 47-50.
- Daellenbach, Urs and Michael J. Rouse. 2007. "Methods and the resource-based view of the firm ten years after: Some suggestions for future resource-based view research," in David J. Ketchen and Donald D. Bergh, Research Methodology in Strategy and Management, Vol. 4.
- Rouse, Michael J. 2004. "Knowledge Translation and Risk Management," Risk Management: An International Journal, 6(2): 9-15.
- Rouse, Michael J. and Urs Daellenbach. 2002. "More Thinking on Research Methods for the Resource-Based Perspective." Strategic Management Journal, 23(10): 963-969.
- Herbane, B., and Michael J. Rouse. 2000. Strategic Management: An Active Learning Approach, Volumes 1 & 2. Blackwell Business, Oxford.
- Rouse, Michael J. and Urs Daellenbach. (1999). "Rethinking Research Methods for the Resource-Based View: Isolating Sources of Sustainable Competitive Advantage." Strategic Management Journal, 20: 487-494.
- Leeds University Business School, Leeds, United Kingdom (2002 − 2004)
- Leicester Business School, De Montfort University, Leicester, United Kingdom (1996 − 2002)
- Executive MBA teaching and management development Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, South Africa
- External examiner: Sheffield University Management School, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom; University of Liverpool Management School, Liverpool, United Kingdom, City Liberal Arts College, Thessaloniki, Greece
- Business Experience: Retail Management, Mining, Food industries
- Active consultant for business and public sector organizations such as Pfizer (Indonesia); Connex (Vivendi) United Kingdom; Development Bank of Southern Africa, South Africa; Lincoln Local Authority, United Kingdom; Cabinet Office, Government of the United Kingdom
- Designing and Executing Strategy
- Biotech/Pharma Strategy
- Organizational Learning and Performance
- Stakeholder Management
- Global Strategy