Niraj Dawar is a Professor in marketing at the Ivey Business School. He earned his PhD from Pennsylvania State University.
Niraj Dawar's research currently focuses on brand equity and brand management issues. His published papers on brand extensions, consumers use of brand and other signals as well as international consumer behaviour have appeared in the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Harvard Business Review, Journal of Consumer Psychology, Marketing Letters, Journal of Business Research, the Journal of International Business Studies, and other outlets.
Niraj Dawar teaches PhD, MBA and undergraduate courses in marketing management and brand management, as well as in Executive Development programs. Prior to joining the Ivey Business School, he was Associate Professor of Marketing at INSEAD, France. He was also visiting scholar at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology during the fall of 1994 and 1995. During the Spring of 2000, he was the William Davidson Visiting Research Professor at the University of Michigan Business School. During the 2005-2006 academic year, he was Visiting Professor at INSEAD's Asia campus in Singapore.
- PhD, Penn State
- BCom, India
- PGDBM, India
- Bagga, Charan, Theo Noseworthy, and Niraj Dawar, 2015, "Asymmetric Consequences of Radical Innovations on Category Representations of Competing Brands", Journal of Consumer Psychology, forthcoming.
- Dawar, Niraj and Charan Bagga, C., 2015, "A Better Way to Map Brand Strategy", Harvard Business Review, forthcoming.
- Whelan, Jodie and Niraj Dawar, 2015, "Attributions of Blame Following a Product-Harm Crisis Depend on Consumers' Attachment Styles", Marketing Letters, forthcoming.
- Goedertier, Frank, Niraj Dawar, Maggie Geuens, and Bert Weijters, 2015, "Brand Typicality and Distant Novel Extension Acceptance: How Risk-Reduction Counters Low Category Fit", Journal of Business Research, January, 68(1): 157 – 165.
- Dawar, Niraj (2013) “When Marketing is Strategy,” Harvard Business Review, December, 100-105.
- Dawar, Niraj and Jason Stornelli (2013) "Rebuilding the Relationship Between Manufacturers and Retailers," M.I.T. Sloan Management Review, Winter, Vol. 54(2), 83-95.
- Lei, Jing, Niraj Dawar, and Zeynep Gurhan-Canli, (2012) "Base-Rate Information in Consumer Attributions of Product-Harm Crises," Journal of Marketing Research, June, Vol, 49(3).
- Muylle, Steve, Niraj Dawar, Deva Rangarajan, (2012) "B2B Brand Architecture," California Management Review, Winter, Vol. 54(2), 58-71.
- Niraj, Rakesh, Tanya Mark and Niraj Dawar (2012) "Uncovering Customer Profitability Segments for Business Customers," Journal of Business to Business Marketing, Vol. 19(1), 1-32. Outstanding Article of the Year Award
- Dawar, Niraj and Jill Lei (2009), "Brand crises: The roles of brand familiarity and crisis relevance in determining the impact on brand evaluations," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 62(4), 509-516.
- Lei, Jill, Niraj Dawar and Jos Lemmink (2008), "Negative Spillover in Brand Portfolios," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 72(3), 111-123.
- Dawar, Niraj (2004), "What Are Brands Good For?," M.I.T. Sloan Management Review, Fall, Vol. 46(1), 31-37
- Klein, Jill and Niraj Dawar (2004), "Corporate Social Responsibility and Consumers' Attributions and Brand Evaluations in a Product-Harm Crisis," International Journal of Research in Marketing Vol. 21(3), 203-217.
- Dawar, Niraj and Mark Vandenbosch (2004), "The Seller's Hidden Advantage," M.I.T. Sloan Management Review, Vol. 45(2), 83-88.
- Dawar, Niraj and Amitava Chattopadhyay (2002), "Rethinking Marketing Programs for Emerging Markets," Long Range Planning, Vol. 35(5), October, 457-474.
- Vandenbosch, Mark and Niraj Dawar (2002), "Beyond Better Products: Finding, Building and Capturing Value in Customer Interactions," M.I.T. Sloan Management Review, Vol. 43(4), 35-42.
- Price, Lydia and Niraj Dawar (2002) "The Joint Effects of Brands and Warranties on Signalling New Product Quality," Journal of Economic Psychology, vol. 23 (2), 165-190.
- Dawar, Niraj and Madan M. Pillutla (2000) "The Impact of Product-Harm Crises on Brand Equity: The Moderating Role of Consumer Expectations," Journal of Marketing Research, May, 215-226.
- Dawar, Niraj and Tony Frost (1999), "Competing with Giants: Survival Strategies for Emerging Market Companies," Harvard Business Review (March-April), 119-129.
- Dawar, Niraj (1998), "Product-Harm Crises and the Signaling Ability of Brands," International Studies in Management and Organizations, Vol. 28(3), 109-119. Special issue on Corporate Image and Identity
- Dawar, Niraj and Miklos Sarvary (1997), "The Signaling Impact of Low Introductory Price on Perceived Quality and Product Trial," Marketing Letters, Vol. 8 (3).
- Dawar, Niraj (1996), "Extensions of Broad Brands: The Role of Retrieval in Evaluations of Fit," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 5 (2), 189-207.
- Dawar, Niraj, Philip Parker and Lydia J. Price (1996) "A Cross-Cultural Study of Interpersonal Information Exchange," Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 27 (3), 497-516.
- Dawar, Niraj and Philip Parker (1994), "Marketing Universals: The Use of Brand Name, Price, Physical Appearance, and Retailers' Reputation as Signals of Product Quality," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 58, 2, 81-95.
- Dawar, Niraj and Paul F. Anderson (1994), "The Effects of Order and Direction on Multiple Brand Extensions," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 30(2), 119-129.
- Brand Strategy
- Marketing Strategy
- Strategies for Emerging Markets