Leadership Journey: Coaching Your Team
Build coaching capabilities into your leadership approach. Engage and motivate your team members by coaching through disruption. Private programs are designed and offered for teams.
Who should attend?
Executives, leaders, and managers who lead others or lead teams. The program is also helpful for leaders responsible for talent development.
When global disruption hit and isolation became the norm, we showed that we are resilient, compassionate and — given the opportunity to shape how we work — deeply innovative. Now, as we emerge from the initial ‘lock-down’ stage, we face a dramatic wave of unknowns. There are many questions about what the world of work will look like and feel like. Will compassion, intimacy and flexibility still be valued? How will we work together as a team? Will decision-making be as expedient? When we lose the level-playing field, will every voice still matter?
Our faculty keep a close pulse on these challenges. We recognize that the puzzle pieces don’t fall into place without help. In response, we offer virtual Leadership Journeys with this transition in mind — targeted learning and development programs that tackle the mindset, skillset and behaviours key to re-engaging. These powerful, high impact initiatives are tailored to support individuals, teams, and organizations as they re-affirm a leadership identity.
This journey focuses on leading in a way that develops others’ strengths and abilities. The goal is to build coaching capabilities into your everyday leadership to keep your team members motivated, engaged, and productive. It helps to recognize that the current crisis has probably impacted each of your team members differently. Some may be thriving while others are struggling with the demands of work and home. There is a need to step into the role of coach, taking a personalized approach to help your team cope and grow in a context of rapid, constant, and disruptive change
What You Learn
Leading by Coaching
- Increase your confidence and capability as a coach. Hone the essential coaching skills of listening, giving feedback, reframing, asking questions, and creating psychological safety and trust.
- Learn to turbo-charge the action learning cycle by asking powerful questions, provoking alternative plans and bringing in a new perspective for observing and reflecting.
- Provide the encouragement, compassion, and support your team members need to feel productive and successful in uncertain times.
- Learn to be alert to individuals’ needs, motivations and aspirations and how to use these insights to develop their capabilities.
Program Preparation: Getting ready to coach. Understand the basic of great coaching.
- Assess the pressing need for coaching and your confidence and capability to coach.
- Read three articles and watch a video on the foundations and principles of coaching.
Week 1: What is coaching in leadership, what impact does it have? Trust and psychological safety as
the foundation of a coaching relationship
- Understand the motivation for coaching and the conditions and criteria for coaching success.
- Learn how to foster psychological safety in interpersonal interactions and teams, focusing on creating a climate of openness and trust.
- Understand the ”power of intent” and how it shapes how we show up as a coach.
- Practice applying the Coaching Framework in relevant coaching scenarios.
- Share coaching experiences to develop your coaching capabilities.
- Takeaway Practice 1: apply the Coaching Framework at work and capture learning and insights in your Coaching Journal.
Week 2: A practical toolkit: The art and science of questioning and listening.
- Learn about deep listening and how non-judgment and holding others in high positive regard can lead to transformative change.
- Practice deep listening and powerful questioning and apply these skills to situations you are currently facing.
- Structuring coaching conversations – from setting the stage to closing
- Learn the Motivation Factors diagnostic tool for coaching
- Takeaway Practice 2: use the Coaching Framework and deep listening at work and capture learning and insights in your coaching journal. Complete the Motivation Factors diagnostic and debrief with a coach.
Week 3: You the coach: Importance of self-awareness, the role of understanding the
person you’re coaching as someone different.
- Develop self-awareness by assessing how your needs, talents, value system and beliefs influence your ability to coach effectively.
- Understand the role of emotional intelligence in the coaching process.
- Develop insights about your personal coaching style and how it impacts those you are coaching,
- Practice coaching in situations that require adapting your coaching style and understand its strengths and boundaries.
- Takeaway Practice 3: Reflect on the people whom you have been coaching and examine how well you understand them and their needs and re-engage. Capture insights in your coaching journal.
Week 4: The longer game: How do people change? Developing commitment to
behavioural change, and supporting progress.
- Understand individual resistance to change and the psychology of habits.
- Learn to identify and diagnose the organizational factors that support and block coaching as an institutional capability.
- Understand your role as influencer and stakeholder in building a coaching culture in your team, department, or division.
- End of this session and your continued Leadership Journey: Develop a plan to embed coaching habits into your everyday interactions. Create your personal toolkit of resources and support to continue on your journey. Identify how to engage others in your network to reinforce and sustain your coaching practice.
How You Learn
Ivey Academy Private Programs are designed to be delivered exclusively within one team, area group, or organization. By learning together and exploring cases as a group, you'll forge lasting relationships between colleagues and find creative ways to apply learning to your real-world business context. Our faculty blend contemporary business case research with virtual learning technology and safely distanced in-person sessions at your preference.
Contact us today at email@example.com for more information about holding a Private Program for your team.
The Ivey Academy is a centre for innovation in executive development – blending contemporary academic research with practical, case-based, experiential learning and real-world expertise. Participants come away with actionable business insights and access to a network of alumni that supports continuing individual growth.
We design and deliver virtual programs to achieve the same outcomes through highly interactive live sessions, small peer-learning groups, executive coaching, online simulations, and self-paced learning journeys.
Self-paced Learning Activities
Prepare for live sessions using pre-recorded videos, readings, and case-studies – delivered at a flexible pace through our Canvas learning management system. Discuss ideas with your peers via a private forum and complete guided self-reflection exercises to help apply key takeaways in your own role.
Live Faculty-led Sessions
Join live sessions featuring expert Ivey faculty using any computer or mobile device. With the help of a live technical director, we also call on the group to participate in real-time.
Peer Learning Sessions
Virtual learning technology allows faculty to assign instant breakout groups during a larger session. Share experiences, exchange ideas, and collaborate to solve challenges together with your fellow participants.
Individual assessment tools enable deeper self-awareness, encouraging participants to reflect on their learning journey throughout the program. Apply valuable new personal discoveries to your constantly evolving identity as a leader.
Professional coaches from Ivey Coaching Academy will moderate small-group discussions where you exchange peer support with like-minded leaders. Coaches will help interpret the results of self-assessments, highlight personal learning from the program content, and discuss implementation plans.
Ivey Academy Coaches
You Are Your Own Case Study
Ivey Academy executive coaches take a blended approach to development, combining world-class coaching processes with leadership advisory services. Your coach becomes a confidential thinking and sparring partner, sharing and challenging your ideas. They help you navigate “in the moment” challenges, illuminate blind spots, and accelerate decision-making. They also help you understand yourself more deeply as you move into different career roles and stages, so you flourish where you are and prepare for what’s next.
Our coaches are selected to join an elite community because they combine deep coaching expertise across many contexts, credibility through their own practical experience, and a passion for supporting leaders’ personal development journeys. Through our Ivey Coaching Certification Program, they master Ivey’s unique experiential learning approaches, our leading-edge knowledge about business trends and frameworks, and the very latest research and assessment tools to support advanced leadership development.
After completing Coaching Your Team, you'll receive an authentic digital artifact – also known as a badge. This badge showcases your achievements and commitment to professional development. You can share your accomplishment with your network by displaying digital badges on social media, websites, ePortfolios, professional networks, and email signatures. Included in your badge is a digital certificate. Your network will be able to view your personalized and authentic certificate through your online digital badge.
In addition to a digital badge, you will receive an Ivey Program Certificate of Completion, a powerful credential from the top business school in Canada.
Contact us for availability
Live Virtual Session
Contact us for program pricing
Program fee includes all materials.
Program fees are tax exempt.