Leadership Journey: Finding Purpose Through Crisis
Find resilience through disruption. Level up your leadership capabilities and find your inner motivations to lead.
Who should attend?
Executives, leaders, and managers who are responsible for leading people and driving collaboration — at any career stage.
When global disruption hit and isolation became the norm, we showed that we are resilient, compassionate and — given the opportunity to shape how we work — deeply innovative. Now, as we emerge from the initial “lock-down” stage, we face a dramatic wave of unknowns. There are many questions about what the world of work will look like and feel like. Will compassion, intimacy, and flexibility still be valued? How will we work together as a team? Will decision-making be as expedient? When we lose the level-playing field, will every voice still matter?
Ivey Academy faculty keep a close pulse on these challenges. We recognize that the puzzle pieces don’t fall into place without help. In response, we offer virtual leadership journeys with this transition in mind — powerful, high impact initiatives that tackle the mindset, skillset, and behaviours key to re-engaging.
This journey focuses on harnessing the crisis to take your leadership capabilities to the next level. The crisis has raised questions and curiosity for you about your own leadership and how you are developing. How did I react to the crisis? How did it affect my leadership? What drives me as a leader, and how has that changed in the current environment? You’ll Come away from your journey with a better understanding of leadership purpose through crisis.
What You Learn
Self-awareness and motivation
- Increase your awareness about your drivers and talents for leadership, and your leader character development;
- Develop higher confidence with a broader repertoire of leadership behaviours;
- Leverage your strengths to increase your leadership impact;
- Experience enhanced energy and purpose in your leadership;
- Develop a deeper understanding of the relationship between neuropsychology, values, purpose, and leadership.
Program Preparation: Your Leadership Right Now.
- Complete the Motivation Factor self-assessment: A 20-minute survey applying the latest research in neuropsychology and leadership.
- Read the Motivation Factor report and reflect briefly on your leadership prompted by a set of questions.
Week 1: Applying My Leadership Needs and Talents to High-Energy Leadership
- Context for leadership development: Why change and crisis require learning to be at the forefront, the dynamics of our own development, and the importance of clarifying your own motivation to lead
- Building on the Motivation Factor results, identify your current leadership drainers and energizers, link them to your current needs and talents and your leadership situation. Explore how your motivations are similar to and different from others, and how to lead taking this into account.
- End of this session through Week 2: Choose actions to increase your leadership energy and impact in the next week, and reflect on their effect.
Week 2: Growing and Challenging Myself Towards My Leadership Purpose
- Leadership flow and purpose: Balancing challenge with development by working towards achieving your own reasons to lead.
- Building further on the Motivation Factor results, draft your Leadership Purpose and begin to assess how it increases your leadership impact. Explore how your Leadership Purpose is similar to and different from others, and how to lead taking this into account.
- End of this session through Week 3: Reflect on how your Leadership Purpose helps you build character for difficult situations. Complete the Leadership Character Insight Assessment: a 20-minute self-assessment applying the latest research on leadership decision-making and strength in difficult situations.
Week 3: Building My Leadership Character for Judgement and Resilience
- Leadership character in challenging times: The role of key character traits in leading others and providing direction in uncertainty
- Building on your Leadership Character Insight Assessment results: What are your own strengths in leader character, and how have they developed during the crisis? How can you leverage them further?
- End of this session through Week 4: Choose actions to apply and develop your Leader Character further, and provide guidance for others. Watch one-hour Ivey webinar Hercules meets Buddha.
Week 4: Bringing It All Together – Hercules Meets Buddha
- Review and discussion of Hercules meets Buddha: Driving others towards aligned performance while simultaneously encouraging variety and empowering others. Powered by self- and other-awareness, character, and your own leadership development.
- Building on your reflections and experiences so far, discuss how you can bring these perspectives together in your own leadership. What strengths do you bring? What might get in your way, and how can you manage these dynamics?
- End of this session and your continued Leadership Journey: Choose how you will build habits of reflective leadership development, supported by peers and others in your network.
How You Learn
Ivey Academy Private Programs are designed to be delivered exclusively within one team, area group, or organization. By learning together and exploring cases as a group, you'll forge lasting relationships between colleagues and find creative ways to apply learning to your real-world business context. Our faculty blend contemporary business case research with virtual learning technology and safely distanced in-person sessions at your preference.
Contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about holding a Private Program for your team.
The Ivey Academy is a centre for innovation in executive development – blending contemporary academic research with practical, case-based, experiential learning and real-world expertise. Participants come away with actionable business insights and access to a network of alumni that supports continuing individual growth.
We design and deliver virtual programs to achieve the same outcomes through highly interactive live sessions, small peer-learning groups, executive coaching, online simulations, and self-paced learning journeys.
Self-paced Learning Activities
Prepare for live sessions using pre-recorded videos, readings, and case-studies – delivered at a flexible pace through our Canvas learning management system. Discuss ideas with your peers via a private forum and complete guided self-reflection exercises to help apply key takeaways in your own role.
Live Faculty-led Sessions
Join live sessions featuring expert Ivey faculty using any computer or mobile device. With the help of a live technical director, we also call on the group to participate in real-time.
Peer Learning Sessions
Virtual learning technology allows faculty to assign instant breakout groups during a larger session. Share experiences, exchange ideas, and collaborate to solve challenges together with your fellow participants.
Individual assessment tools enable deeper self-awareness, encouraging participants to reflect on their learning journey throughout the program. Apply valuable new personal discoveries to your constantly evolving identity as a leader.
Professional coaches from Ivey Coaching Academy will moderate small-group discussions where you exchange peer support with like-minded leaders. Coaches will help interpret the results of self-assessments, highlight personal learning from the program content, and discuss implementation plans.
Ivey Academy Coaches
You Are Your Own Case Study
Ivey Academy executive coaches take a blended approach to development, combining world-class coaching processes with leadership advisory services. Your coach becomes a confidential thinking and sparring partner, sharing and challenging your ideas. They help you navigate “in the moment” challenges, illuminate blind spots, and accelerate decision-making. They also help you understand yourself more deeply as you move into different career roles and stages, so you flourish where you are and prepare for what’s next.
Our coaches are selected to join an elite community because they combine deep coaching expertise across many contexts, credibility through their own practical experience, and a passion for supporting leaders’ personal development journeys. Through our Ivey Coaching Certification Program, they master Ivey’s unique experiential learning approaches, our leading-edge knowledge about business trends and frameworks, and the very latest research and assessment tools to support advanced leadership development.
After completing Finding Purpose Through Crisis, you'll receive an authentic digital artifact – also known as a badge. This badge showcases your achievements and commitment to professional development. You can share your accomplishment with your network by displaying digital badges on social media, websites, ePortfolios, professional networks, and email signatures. Included in your badge is a digital certificate. Your network will be able to view your personalized and authentic certificate through your online digital badge.
In addition to a digital badge, you will receive an Ivey Program Certificate of Completion, a powerful credential from the top business school in Canada.
Live Virtual Session
Program fee includes all materials.
Program fees are tax exempt.