Are you a startup founder or do you have a great MVP you want to turn into a business?
The 2020 Western Angel Demo Day and its prequel, Amplify, are semi-annual opportunities to showcase your company and offer $12,500+ in prizes to recognize, reward, and accelerate the University of Western Ontario’s most innovative student startups. Part of Western’s Entrepreneurship Initiatives, the competition will take place in two rounds.
- Round 1 (Amplify) is scheduled for 10.00 am - 12.00 Noon on November 20, 2020
- Round 2 (Western Angles' Demo Day - WADD) is scheduled for 10.00 am - 12.00 Noon on December 4, 2020
Round 1 (Amplify)
Amplify is an entrepreneurship competition that aims to reward, and help investor-ready Western ventures. Amplify is a closed event, open only to participating teams and investors who are part of our judging panel. However, the public is allowed to vote for the People's Choice Award between November 16 to November 20, 2020.
The top five teams from Amplify will have the opportunity to pitch to experienced investors and entrepreneurs at the Western Angel Demo Day.
Awards & Prizes:
- People’s Choice Award: $2500/- (Ranking is fully based on votes)
- Financial Rockstar: 1st Place $3000/-
- Financial Rockstar: 2nd Place $2000/-
- Best Global Growth Potential: $2500/-
- Market Disruptor: $2500/-
Final Round (WADD)
The next round will focus not on prize money or ranking but real-world investments. The Western Angel Demo Day is scheduled for 10am on Friday, December 4, 2020. This Round aims to help founders looking for seed funding / round 1 investment.
Five selected teams from Amplify will make it to WADD, where they complete not for a ranking but actual investment to grow their companies and take them to the next level. Five teams will compete by showcasing their business idea via a five-minute pitch to an investor group for a chance to gain seed funding for their new business ventures.
Western’s entrepreneurship community: At least one founder is a current full-time Western student, faculty, staff or recent alumni (past 5 years) from a full-time program. Open to all faculties and sectors across Western.
Entrants are expected to present their pitch to the judging panelists in round 1 on November 20 and successful teams will progress to present in round 2 on December 4, 2020; as social distancing and other restrictions are in place, this event will be virtually hosted over Zoom. Companies who are not yet incorporated may apply, however, incorporation is required in order to receive angel investment funding in Round 2. Competition Timeline 1.
Competition entry runs from mid October to the beginning of November: Only 4 finalist teams through Amplify can participate in WADD for 2020. A teaser video and pitch deck should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5:00pm on Wednesday, November 4, 2020. Applications received after this time will not be considered. 2. Competition preparation with an advisor in November: The teams selected to compete in Amplify will be notified and are encouraged to work with an advisor from one of our entrepreneurship programs to help them perfect their pitch from November 4-14, 2020.
At both Amplify and WADD, the panel of judges / investors will be looking for the startup’s that are investment ready at a pre-seed or early stage. The scoring will be a weighted average of:
- Problem Identification / Opportunity: A clearly articulated and compelling value proposition
- Viability: Clear knowledge of the market and evidence of demand for the solution Growth potential: Sustainable and scalable business model
- Innovation: Intellectual property and/or strong competitive differentiation
- Talent: A strong team Communication skills: An effective and persuasive overall pitch presentation