- Public Policy
- Survey Methods
- Political Economy
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Cross-national differences in Values and Behaviours
- To search for publications by a specific faculty member, select the database and then select the name from the Author drop down menu.
Professor and Associate Dean, Faculty Development
Bob Andersen is Professor of Business, Economics and Public Policy, and Professor of Strategy. He is also cross-appointed in the Departments of Sociology, Political Science, and Statistics and Actuarial Science. His previous appointments include Dean of the Faculty of Social Science at Western University, Distinguished Professor of Social Science at the University of Toronto, Senator William McMaster Chair in Political Sociology at McMaster University, and Lecturer and Senior Research Fellow at the University of Oxford.
Much of Andersen’s recent research has explored the cross-national relationships between economic conditions, especially income inequality, and a wide array of attitudes and behaviours important for liberal democracy and a successful business environment, including social trust, tolerance, civic participation, support for democracy and attitudes toward public policy. He is also currently examining the changing role of university education in stratification and social mobility in the US, the impact of student debt on occupational outcomes, and the relationship between firm inequality and diversity on productivity. His published research includes Modern Methods for Robust Regression (Sage, 2008), and more than 70 academic papers including articles in the Annual Review of Sociology, American Journal of Political Science, American Sociological Review, British Journal of Political Science, British Journal of Sociology, Journal of Politics, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, and Sociological Methodology.
Andersen has provided consulting for the United Nations, the European Commission, the Canadian Government and the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada. In 2017, Andersen received the Canadian Sociological Association Outstanding Contribution Award in recognition of significant research contributions to Canadian sociology and 'exceptional scholarly merit' over the course of his career.
- Ph.D, McMaster University
- MA, University of Western Ontario
- BA, University of Western Ontario
Honours & Awards
- Outstanding Career Contribution Award, Canadian Sociological Association, 2017
- Premier’s Research Excellence Award, Government of Ontario, 2006
- Frank L Wilson Prize for Best Paper (with Jocelyn Evans), American Political Science Association, 2005
- British Elections and Parties Review Best Paper Award (with Geoffrey Evans), Political Studies Association (UK), 2003
- Alfred Hunter Memorial Award for Excellence in Dissertation Research, McMaster University, 1998
- American Sociological Association/ICPSR Clifford Clogg Award, 1996