Adjunct Professor, Finance
Colette Southam is an Adjunct Associate Professor at the Ivey Business School and Associate Professor of Finance, Director of the Master of Finance Program, and Director of the Centre for Experiential Learning at Bond University (Australia) where she teaches International Finance and Mergers & Acquisitions using the case method. Colette leads the Australian Business Case Network. Previousy, Colette was on faculty at Ivey where she taught Corporate Finance and International Finance in the HBA, EMBA and Ph.D. programs and was a faculty mentor with the Ivey Field Project. Prior to undertaking graduate studies in business, she was a molecular geneticist at the Ontario Veterinary College where she worked with a team from academia, the biotechnology industry, and Health Canada to develop gene probes to detect pathogens in meat.
Colette's research focuses on international and corporate finance with specific interests in market segmentation and its mitigation by cross-listing, executive compensation, and capital raising. Additionally, she has co-authored two articles about real options and is working with an interdisciplinary team to create a real-options valuation model for carbon sequestration and to quantify the potential economic impact of mineral carbonation. Colette enjoys working on industry-supported research projects which provide her with the opportunity to combine her science background with finance and economic fundamentals.
- Ph.D., Ivey
- M.B.A., Northern Arizona
- B.Sc. (Hons), Guelph
Honours & Awards
- Bond Business Dean’s Honourable Mention for Outstanding Teaching Performance, January 2016
- Top 20 Best Selling Case Award (Alex Sharpe’s Portfolio), Ivey Publishing, 2015
- Bond Business Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, January 2014
- Bond Business Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, September 2013
- Bond Business Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, May 2013
- Bond Business Students’ Association Teaching Excellence Award, May 2012
- Ivey Publishing Director’s New Case Writer Award, 2009
- David Burgoyne Teaching Award for Outstanding Commitment to Student Development, 2007
- Western University Student Council Teaching Honour Roll, 2007