Professor Emeritus, Organizational Behaviour
Jane Howell is an emeritus Professor of Organizational Behaviour at the Ivey Business School. Professor Howell earned her Ph.D. in Business Administration and B.A. in Psychology from The University of British Columbia, and her M.A. in Counseling Psychology from Western University. Prior to joining the Ivey faculty in 1984, Jane worked with the B.C. Justice Institute where she trained police officers in domestic violence intervention and conflict resolution. After dealing with volatile situations, Jane moved to the safer corporate environment of the Toronto Dominion Bank where she worked in Human Resources for two years.
In 1998 Professor Howell received the University's Edward G. Pleva Award for Teaching Excellence and Innovation, and in 2007 was presented with the Dean Carol Stephenson Excellence in Executive MBA Teaching Award. She teaches leadership and change in Ivey's Executive MBA (Hong Kong and Toronto), and Ph.D. programs, as well as custom executive development programs. Jane has written over 60 cases related to high performing organizations, leadership, teams, and coaching.
Jane has developed and delivered custom executive development programs on leadership, change, teams, and coaching, for companies in North America, Europe, Asia and Africa including, most recently, BMO Financial Group, BMO China, Mattel Asia, J.D. Irving, Aecon, Esquel Enterprise Ltd., Petro-Canada, Maple Leaf Foods, John Squire and Sons, and 3M Canada. Jane is also an executive coach, and has consulted and led executive retreats with many enterprises such as London Life, J.D. Irving, Royal Bank Financial Group, and Spar Aerospace.
Jane's research interests since the early 1980s have included high performing leaders, teams, and organizations, and champions of innovation. She has published over 50 journal articles and book chapters on these topics and have received international awards for her work. She is currently involved in three multi-year research projects: leading during crisis and adversity; assessing global leadership practices; and accelerating new product development. Jane has served on the editorial board of The Leadership Quarterly since 1993, and is a reviewer for several journals in Organizational Behavior.
From 1998 to 2001, Jane was Associate Dean, Faculty Development and member of the Ivey Executive Committee and the Ivey Advisory Board. She has also served as a board member for The National Centre for Management Research and Development and The Original Kids Theatre Company.
- Leadership (Executive MBA and MBA programs)
- Leading Change (Executive MBA program)
- Managing People for Exceptional Performance (MBA and HBA programs)
- Ph.D. Seminar in Individual Behaviour (Ph.D. program)
- BA, UBC
- MA, Western
- PhD, UBC
- Professor of Organizational Behaviour, Ivey Business School, Western University (2001-present)
- Associate Dean, Faculty Development, Ivey Business School, Western University (1998-2001)
- Associate Professor of Organizational Behaviour, Ivey Business School, Western University (1993-2000)
- Assistant Professor of Organizational Behaviour, Ivey Business School, Western University, (1984-1992)
- Visiting Scholar, Faculty of Management Studies, The University of Toronto (1988-1989)
- Champions of Innovations