Professor Emeritus, Marketing
During the summer between my junior and senior year at Ivey I worked in the Brand Department of Procter & Gamble in Toronto, and upon graduation joined the sales and marketing department of a company that fabricated building materials for the construction industry. I earned an M.B.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Michigan and joined the Ivey faculty in 1968. Today, I am Emeritus Professor at the Ivey Business School.
From 1988-92, I was Director of the HBA Program and from 1993-99, Associate Dean Research and Faculty Development and then directed the entrepreneurship institute for three years. From 2003 to 2006 I was also a Visiting Professor at the University of Michigan; in 1987 the same at INSEAD in Fontainebleau, France; and in 1973-74, the same at NEMI in Oslo, Norway.
- Learning From Leaders 4500
- HBA Ivey
- MBA, PhD Michigan
Works in Progress
- I continue to search for new materials and new visitors for both Entrepreneurial Marketing and Learning From Leaders
Honours & Awards
- 2011 Alumni Faculty Award
- My special expertise is in strategic planning, leadership development and making good use of boards of directors. I have served on six boards of directors and consulted on strategy issues to companies such as AT&T, Call-Net, DuPont, Mobil Oil, Nabisco, Ontario Hospital Association, Bell Canada, Union Carbide and Zeneca. I have taught executive education programs in Brazil, Columbia, England, Finland, Ireland, Kenya, Mexico, Norway and other countries.
- I have written five books, 130 cases and published many articles in the Journal of Marketing, Harvard Business Review, European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Business Strategy, and other journals.
- In 2000 I created Entrepreneurial Marketing to teach students how to grow small and medium companies quickly. It discusses optimal positioning, strategies and tactics for fast growth and finally how to exit profitably.
- In 2008 I created Learning From Leaders which demonstrated best leadership practices by in-class interviews of seven of Canadian businesses most outstanding leaders and writing a Personal Plan for Leadership.