Mazi is an Assistant Professor in the Strategy area group. He is a founding member of Ivey's EDI Advisory Council and a research fellow in Innovation North Learning Lab. Mazi earned a Ph.D. and MBA from Ivey, with research and teaching interests in the relationship between ideological trends and management thinkways, human imagination and managerial practices. His operating motto is: "human knowledge must be matched by a fearless trust in the unknowable."
Mazi teaches Strategy, Systems Thinking, and Power & Politics courses in Ivey's MBA, MSc. and Executive Development programs. His current research project explores 'deep skilling' pedagogies for leaders, combining complexity orientation, foresight, and systems change. Mazi has held senior roles with The Ivey Academy, Sauder Executive Education at UBC, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, Peter Lougheed Leadership Institute, and Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota.
Mazi has deep learning and development expertise and extensive experience in leadership development. Since 2014, he has designed and delivered numerous executive education programs focusing on inclusive leadership, power and politics, systems innovation, and strategic thinking. He has designed and taught programs for various organizations, including 3M, Alberta Health Systems, London Health Science Centre, BC Automobile Association, Environment Canada, Treasury Board Secretariat, Marriott International, CIBC and CPA Ontario.
Mazi is ethnically Persian. Having emigrated in 1990, he has lived and worked in Canada, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. Before becoming an academic, Mazi was a senior manager with several large corporations in several industries, including aviation, media, and finance.
- Director, Strategy & Learning Design, The Ivey Academy, UWO
- Interim Director, Corporate Programs, Sauder School of Business, UBC
- Director, Leadership Programming, Banff Centre
- Visiting Scholar, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota
- Lecturer in General Management, Ivey School of Business, Western University
- Power and Politics in Organization
- Systems Thinking
- Executive Education
- Ph.D., Ivey Business School, University of Western Ontario
- MBA, Ivey Business School, University of Western Ontario
- BSc., York University