Dean Robert (Bob) Kennedy was Dean of the Ivey Business School from 2013 - 2017. He will become Dean at the Nanyang Business School in Singapore in January 2018.
Kennedy was Ivey’s first academic Dean since 1995. During his Deanship, the school moved forward on several important dimensions. These included:
- expanding the faculty cohort;
- improving funding and administrative support for research;
- Improving performance in the school’s administrative units and affiliated companies, including Executive Education, Ivey Publishing, Conference Centres, and Ivey Asia;
- Increasing enrolments to capacity in all degree programs; and
- Stabilizing the school’s finances.
Bob came to Ivey from the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business, where he led the William Davidson Institute (WDI), served as the Director of the Ross School Global Initiative, and as the Tom Lantos Professor of Business Administration at Ross.
A well-known scholar, speaker, and educator, Kennedy’s research focuses on the opportunities and challenges facing businesses in developing countries. He has been widely published in leading economics and strategy journals. His teaching materials, including more than 120 articles, chapters and cases are used at every one of Business Week’s top 25 U.S. business schools.
With two Baccalaureate degrees in political science and economics from Stanford University, a Master of Science in Management from MIT’s Sloan School of Management, and a PhD in business economics from Harvard University, where he also taught for several years, Bob brings to Ivey a wealth of global management education experience.
He has also held various international management positions with firms that include Enterprise Investors in Warsaw, Poland and The Chase Manhattan Bank in New York.
Bob sits on the governing and/or advisory boards of numerous organizations active in the economic development sector, including the Global Business School Network (GBSN), the Malaysia-based private equity firm Creador, and the Wealth Management Institute in Singapore.
- PhD, Harvard University
- MSM, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- BA (Econ.), Stanford University
- BA, (Pol. Sci.), Stanford University
- Dean, Ivey Business School, Western University (2013-2017)
- Professor, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan (2003 – 2013)
- Director, Ross School Global Initiative, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan (2005 – 2011)
- Executive Director, William Davidson Institute, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan (2003-2013)
- Associate Professor, Harvard Business School (2000-2003)
- Assistant Professor, Harvard Business School (1995-2000)
- Partner, Enterprise Investors, Warsaw, Poland (1991-1995)