Learn about Canada
Read about Canadian history, politics, geography, weather and economics. You’ll appreciate your time here more if you know what to expect. Visit the Centre for Intercultural Learning to learn more about Canada.
- Apply for your study permit.
- Pay your tuition fee.
- Make travel arrangements: book your flight to come to Canada and arrange for transportation between the airport and London.
- Find a place to live, including temporary accommodation if you plan on arriving early.
- Consider housing options.
- Make banking arrangements (transfer/wire money, get bank draft, get credit card, exchange money).
- Create a budget plan.
- Activate your Western email account.
- Pack and bring your essential documents.
Money for Travel
It is recommended that you bring with you cash in small denominations when you first come to Canada in order to have cash upon arrival. You should have at least enough for immediate needs upon arrival such as food and accommodation for the first week. It is not advisable to carry large amounts of cash.
You may also be able to use your debit card (bank card) to take out money from your home banking institution.
Some initial expenses you should be prepared for upon arrival:
- Temporary accommodation, such as hotel, if you don't have a pre-arranged place to stay. If you will live in an apartment, you will typically have to pay two months' rent up front (first and last month).
- Set up charges for your utilities such as hydro (electricity), gas, phone, cable, internet, etc.
- Initial purchases, such as towels, bedding, toiletries, furniture, etc.
- International calling card to call home.
Your Western Email Account
All students at Western University are assigned a free Western email account. Once you activate your account, you will have the option of changing your password.
Fee payment information as well as your UHIP card instructions will be sent to your Western email account only.
Your Ivey Email Account
Ivey assigns all students an Ivey email address that can be used forever. It is not a mailbox at Ivey, but rather an email forwarding service called Lifelong Email Address Forwarding (LEAF). LEAF will forward messages sent to your Ivey email address to any external email account you designate as long as that email account is active.