- Professor Rod Duclos
Poornima is a PhD candidate in Marketing (Consumer Behaviour) at the Ivey Business School at Western University. Her work focusses on consumer financial decisions that can improve long-term and short-term psychological wellbeing. In her research so far, she has examined how consumers make decisions to invest money for their retirement, how they decide to donate to worthy causes, and why they may choose moral rewards over financial rewards. Her work is methods agnostic, as she uses qualitative interviews and dataset analyses to demonstrate real-world phenomena, and experiments to provide evidence for the underlying psychological mechanisms that drive such decision-making.
An experienced industry professional, Poornima also has over 10 years of industry experience in start-ups and business conglomerates with work that spans anti-spam and Internet security, journalism, e-learning, business strategy, marketing, research, and behavioural economics.
- Post Graduate Program in Management (MBA), Indian School of Business (Hyderabad, India), 2009
- Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism & Mass Communications, Xavier Institute of Communications (Mumbai, India), 2004
- B.A. in Computer Science, Osmania University (Hyderabad, India), 2000
Financial Decision Making and Consumer Wellbeing in the context of:
- investment of retirement savings
- financial advice from artificial intelligence agents
- decisions to donate money
- disposal of possessions
- Sepehri, Amir, Rod Duclos, Kirk Kristofferson, Poornima Vinoo, and Hamid Elahi. The Power of Indirect Appeals in Peer-to-Peer Fundraising: Why “S/He” Can Raise More Money For Me Than “I” Can For Myself. Journal of Consumer Psychology (forthcoming).
- Vinoo, Poornima, Kim Ly, and Dilip Soman (2016). Chapter 32. The Role of Self-Regulation in Financial Wellbeing. In Handbook of Self-Regulation: Research, theory, and applications, eds. Vohs, Kathleen D., and Roy F. Baumeister, Guilford Press
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2021
- B. (Bud) Johnston Ontario Graduate Scholarship, 2020
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship, Province of Ontario, Canada, 2020
- Brock Scholarship, Ivey Business School, Western University, 2017-2020
(anticipated completion 2022)
Ivey Business School