- MSc., Materials Science and Engineering, National Tsing Hua University
- BSc., Materials Science and Engineering, National Tsing Hua University
Title: The Rise of Decentralized Autonomous Organizations: New Forms of Task Coordination and the Growth of Cryptocurrencies.
My dissertation takes an inductive approach to build theory for blockchain-based organizations called “decentralized autonomous organizations” (DAOs), as a novel organizational design. Specifically, I focus on the empirical context of cryptocurrencies (e.g., Bitcoin and Ethereum) as they are the most mature implementations of DAOs to date. My dissertation addresses the questions of how are DAOs coordinated to enable growth? Methodologically I use fuzzy-set qualitative comparative analysis (fs-QCA) following a three-stage design to identify the necessary and sufficient coordination configurations for DAO growth.
- Chair of the Organizing Committee for the First Toronto FinTech Conference (Oct 20-21, 2017), sponsored by the Scotiabank Digital Banking Lab at Ivey Business School (2016 – Present).
- Research Fellow, the Scotiabank Digital Banking Lab at Ivey Business School (2016 – Present).
- Research Assistant, Crypto Capitalism Center (2014 – Present)
- Visiting Researcher, Fisher School of Business, the Ohio State University, USA (2012 – 2013)
Peer-reviewed Research Publications
- Hsieh, Y., Vergne, JP. & Wang, S. 2018 forthcoming. The internal and external governance of blockchain-based organizations: Evidence from cryptocurrencies. In Campbell-Verduyn M (ed.), Bitcoin and Beyond: Blockchains and Global Governance. RIPE/Routledge Series in Global Political Economy
- Chakravarty, D., Hsieh, Y., Schotter, A. P., & Beamish, P. W. 2017 forthcoming. Multinational enterprise regional management centres: Characteristics and performance. Journal of World Business
Invited Research Publications
- Hsieh, Y. & Vergne, J.-P. 2017. Bitcoin and the Rise of Decentralized Autonomous Organizations. Conditionally accepted for the Organization Zoo series (a periodic series “intended to analyze new or unusual organizational forms”) in the Journal of Organization Design. Invited by Dr. Phanish Puranam (INSEAD) & Dr. Dorthe Døjbak Håkonsson (Aarhus University). Commentaries by leading scholars will be published in response. (Accepted)
- Arjaliès, DL., Hsieh, Y. & Vergne, JP. 2017. A reply to Cohen’s “Rise of Alternative Cryptocurrencies in Post-Capitalism.” http://www.socadms.org.uk/rise-alternative-currencies/. Online commentary, Journal of Management Studies.
- Hsieh, Y. 2017. A pathway for Scotiabank’s innovation: Leveraging FinTech partnerships. Live case used in the 2017 Scotiabank case competition. (case published with teaching note). Now used in undergraduate and Executive Education programs
Manuscript under Review
- Hsieh, Y. & Vergne, JP. [A paper on the blockchain-based decentralized autonomous organizations]. Under review at Administrative Science Quarterly.
Manuscript in Preparation
- Hsieh, Y. & Vergne, JP. 2017. Organizational governance of decentralized autonomous organizations. Manuscript in preparation for the Special Issue: New Ways of Seeing of Academy of Management Journal.
- Hsieh, Y. Decentralized Consensus in Action: A Study of Bitcoin Improvement Proposals. Target journal: Organization Science.
Conference and Workshop Presentations
- Nomination and admission for the BPS Dissertation Consortium: The Job Market and Beyond (2017) | AOM, Atlanta, USA.
- Invitation and Admission to the Frontiers of Entrepreneurial Strategy Workshop (2017) | The Wharton School, Philadelphia, USA.
Awards, Honors, and Grants
- The George E Connell Graduate Scholarship of $10,000 (awarded annually to exceptional senior graduate students based on academic achievement and research excellence)
- The Ivey PhD Thesis Proposal Funding of $3,000
- The Plan for Excellence Award of a 4-year scholarship of $38,149 (2013 – 2017).
- Travel Grant for AOM and AIB conferences, National Science Council, Taiwan (2009).