Skip to Main Content
Centre for Building Sustainable Value

Sustainability Certificate Q&A


Do I need to use my bid points to secure a place in the Certificate’s required courses?

Yes. You are guaranteed enrollment (both course have long waiting lists). Upon registration the bid points are deducted as they would for any other course/certificate at Ivey. The required courses are:

  • 4620: Impact Assessment (.5 credits, offered M/W of the fall term)
  • 4584: Giving Voice to Leadership (.25 credits, offered in T8, Tu/Th of the spring term)


What if I’m going on exchange for the spring term? Giving Voice to Leadership (a required course) is only offered in the spring.

If you’re a dual degree student who is going on exchange, you can use your HBA3 year to make up the courses you miss this year. If you’re in the unique situation of being non-dual degree AND going on exchange, completing the Certificate will be challenging, but we’ve arranged a workaround for the missing required course. This will result in additional 0.25 credit overload in fall term which is already overloaded as you prepare for exchange). In some cases, you may be able to complete the course in January before you leave for exchange. Please carefully consider the costs of the workaround before you commit. And the workaround below is ONLY available for non-dual degree exchange students:

  • Giving Voice to Leadership substitute: You may do a 0.25 independent study course that will expose you to similar cases as the course. If you’re interested in doing this, please contact Oana Branzei ( directly, and cc NOTE: You must also clear this study course with the Program Services office.


Can 4503 (Leadership and Communications) count as an elective?

Only for non-dual degree students going on exchange, and only for the 2017-18 year. This exception was made because when the original HBA2 timetable was published, only 0.5 Certificate electives were available in the fall term.


Can I count Western courses or courses taken on exchange towards the Certificate requirements?

No. This is an Ivey degree certificate. Therefore only Ivey courses are eligible to meet the requirements.