Professor, General Management
- Ivey Alumni Association Toronto Chapter Faculty Professor in Business Leadership
Crossan is a Distinguished University Professor – Western's highest honour recognizing excellence in teaching, research and service over a substantial career at Western. She teaches in the undergraduate, MBA, Ph.D. and Executive Programs. Her research on organizational learning, strategy, leadership character and improvisation has been widely published in such journals as the Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Organization Science, the Journal of Management Studies, Leadership Quarterly and Organization Dynamics. She has extended her research to management practice through a collection of over 50 cases, many of which have been published in a book she co–authored entitled Strategic Management: A Casebook. She is also an author of the Strategic Analysis and Action textbook. In a joint venture between the Ivey Business School and the Second City Improvisation Company, she developed a management video entitled "Improvise to Innovate" which extends traditional concepts of strategic management to development tools and techniques for more innovative, flexible and responsive strategic action. Her research, case–writing and consulting have provided broad exposure to companies around the world. She has worked with HSBC, Mattel Asia, Bank of Montreal, TD Bank Financial Group, CIBC, Sears Canada, Sun Life and Grand & Toy. Her case on Starbucks has been Ivey's top selling case for many years.
- Strategic Analysis and Action (MBA, Executive MBA)
- Transformational Leadership (MBA)
- Leadership Under Fire (HBA)
- Seijts, G., Gandz, J., Crossan, M., Reno, M. "Character matters: Character dimensions' impact on leader performance and outcomes". Organization Dynamics, vol 44, 65-74, 2015.
- Crossan, M., Mazutis, D., Seijts, G., Gandz, J.; “Developing Leadership Character in Business Programs”. Academy of Management Learning and Education, vol.12, no. 2, 265-284, 2013.
- Crossan, M., Mazutis, D., Seijts, “In Search of Virtue: The Role of Virtues, Values and Character Strengths in Ethical Decision Making”. Journal of Business Ethics, vol. 113, no. 4, 567-581, 2013.
- Gandz, J.; Crossan, M.; Seijts, G.; Reno, M. “Leadership Character and Corporate Governance” Ivey Business Journal, May 2013.reprinted in Institute of Corporate Directors, vol. 167, 15-21, 2013.
- Crossan, M.; Byrne, Alyson. “Linking Candour to Leadership Character with Gen. Rick Hillier” Ivey Business Journal, November 2013.
- Crossan, M., Mauer, C., White, R.E.; Reflections on the 2009 Decade Award: Do we Have a Theory of Organizational Learning? Academy of Management Review, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 446-460, July 2011.
- Maurer, C.; Bansal, T.; Crossan, M.; Creating Economic Value Through Social Values: Introducing a Culturally Informed Resource-Based View, Organization Science, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 432-448, March-April 2011.
- Crossan, M.; Gandz, J.; Seijts, G.; Cross-Enterprise Leadership: Business Leadership for the Twenty-First Century, Wiley, September 2010, 320 pages.
- Gandz, J.; Crossan, M.; Seijts, G.; Stephenson, C. (with research assistance from Daina Mazutis) Leadership on Trial: A Manifesto for Leadership Development. 2010.
- Crossan, M.; Apaydin, M.; A Multi-Dimensional Framework of Organizational Innovation: A Systematic Review of the Literature, Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 47, No. 6, pp. 1154-1191, September, 2009.
- Jansen, J.; Vera, D. Crossan, M. Strategic Leadership for Exploration and Exploitation: The Moderating Role of Environmental Dynamism, Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 5-18, February, 2009.
- Crossan, M.; Vera, D.; Nanjad, L.; Transcendent Leadership: Strategic Leadership in Dynamic Environments, Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 569-581, October, 2008.
- Crossan, M.; Olivera, F.; Cross-Enterprise Leadership: A New Approach for the 21st Century, Ivey Business Journal, May-June, 2006.
- Dutta, D.; Crossan, M.; Understanding Opportunity Recognition Using the "4I" Model of Learning, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, July, pp. 425-449, 2005.
- Vera, D. Crossan, M.; Improvisation and Innovative Performance in Teams, Organization Science, Vol. 16, No. 3, May-June, pp. 203-224, 2005.
- Bapuji, H.; Crossan, M.; From Questions to Answers: Reviewing Organizational Learning Research, Management Learning, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 397-417, 2004.
- Crossan, M.; Vieira Da Cunha, J.; Vera, D.; Pina E Cunha, M. Time and Organizational Improvisation, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 129-145, 2005.
- Crossan, M.; Fry, J.N.; Killing, J.P. Strategic Analysis and Action; eight edition, Pearson Prentice-Hall, August 2004. [here]
- Vera, D.; Crossan, M.; Theatrical Improvisation: Lessons for Organizations, Organization Studies, June (5), 727-751, 2004.
- Vera, D.; Crossan, M.; Strategic Leadership and Organization Learning, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 29, No. 2, April, pp. 222-240, 2004.
- Crossan, M. Tiemessen, I.; Organizational Learning and Strategic Renewal. Strategic Management Journal, Vol 24, No. 11, November, pp. 1087-1105, 2003.
- Crossan, M., Lane, Henry W., White, Roderick E.; An Organizational Learning Framework: From Intuition to Institution, The Academy of Management Review Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 522-537, 1999.
- Bell Canada: Engineering Economics - Ottawa; Installation Foreman - Barrie, Toronto; Construction - London; Human Resource Management - London
- Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics - Ottawa
- Department of Finance - Ottawa
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP): Human Resource Management - Ottawa; Criminal Investigations, Ottawa