Assistant Professor, Management Science
- Assistant Professor, Statistical & Actuarial Sciences
- Assistant Professor, Epidemiology & Biostatistics
Professor Mehmet Begen is an industrial engineer and a management scientist with research interests in operations research (OR) applications, healthcare operations management, scheduling, simulation and data-driven approaches.
Besides the Decision Making with Analytics and End User Modeling courses at Ivey, Mehmet has taught courses in optimization and spreadsheet programming in graduate levels at Sauder (UBC).
Mehmet worked in management consulting as a project manager before his Ph.D. studies. He is a Certified Analytics Professional (CAP).”
- Teaching (HBA and MBA programs)
- Decision Making with Analytics, HBA
- End User Modeling (Spreadsheet Analytics and VBA), HBA
- Business 9458, Healthcare Analytics (Health Sector), MBA
- Preparatory Knowledge Program, Quantitative Analysis, MBA
- PhD, Management Science - UBC
- MSc, Management Science - UBC
- BSc, Industrial Engineering - METU
- Burcu Caglar Gencosman, Mehmet A. Begen, H. Cenk Ozmutlu, Imren O. Yilmaz, “Scheduling Methods for Efficient Stamping Operations at an Automotive Company” to appear in Production and Operations Management, 2016 (FICO Contest Winner “Optimize the Real World")
- Burcu Caglar Gencosman, H. Cenk Ozmutlu, Huseyin Ozkan, Mehmet A. Begen, “Automotive Stamping Operations Scheduling Using Mathematical Programming and Constraint Programming”, in Industrial Engineering Non-Traditional Applications in International Settings. Nov 2014, 37-68.
- Onur Ozturk, Mehmet A. Begen, Gregory S. Zaric, 'A branch and bound based heuristic for makespan minimization of washing operations in hospital sterilization services", to appear in EJOR, 2014 [link]
- Mehmet A. Begen, Srinivas Krishnamoorthy, John Wilson, "Writing ORMS/Analytics Cases", to appear in J. J. Cochran (Ed.) Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science, Wiley, 2013.
- Sakine Batun and Mehmet A. Begen, "Optimization in Healthcare Delivery Modeling: Methods and Applications", in B. Denton (Ed.) Healthcare Operations Management: A Handbook of Methods and Applications, Springer, 2012.
- Mehmet A. Begen, Srinivas Krishnamoorthy, John Wilson, "Teaching ORMS/Analytics with Cases", in J. J. Cochran (Ed.) Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science, Wiley, 2012.
- Mehmet A. Begen, Retsef Levi, Maurice Queyranne, "A sampling-based approach to appointment scheduling," Operations Research, 60(3): 675-681, 2012.
- Mehmet A. Begen and Maurice Queyranne, "Appointment scheduling with discrete random durations," Mathematics of Operations Research, 36-2: 240-257, 2011.
- Mehmet A. Begen, "Stochastic Dynamic Programming Models and Applications", J. J. Cochran (Ed.) Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science, Wiley, 2011.
- Jonathan Patrick and Mehmet A. Begen, "Markov Decision Processes and Its Applications in Healthcare", Y. Yih (Ed.) Handbook of Healthcare Delivery Systems, CRC Press, 2011.
- Pablo Santibáñez, Mehmet A. Begen, Derek Atkins, "Surgical block scheduling in a system of hospitals: An application to resource and wait list management in a BC health authority," Health Care Management Science, 10: 269-282, 2007.
Honours & Awards
- Second prize for the Informs MSOM Student Paper Competition
- Runner up for the Informs Computing Society Student Paper Competition
- Honorable Mention for the CORS Student Paper Competition
- Honorable Mention for Informs Bonder Scholarship
- CORS Practice Prize
- Informs Case Study Competition Finalist
- Lecturer (MM, MBA and PhD Programs), Sauder School of Business, UBC
- Project Manager and Associate Director, Research, Centre for Operations Excellence, Sauder School of Business, UBC
- Graduate and Teaching Assistant, Sauder School of Business, UBC
- Project Analyst, Centre for Operations Excellence, UBC