Create shared value in any situation through negotiation. Test essential negotiation skills in a safe environment and learn to find collaborative solutions to challenges at work.
Purpose and Impact
Knowing how to negotiate is critical. Negotiation isn't about winners and losers, whether between suppliers, clients, other managers, or external stakeholders. It’s about aligning resources appropriately and creating value.
Throughout the Collaborative Negotiation program, you’ll learn the essential skills: how to identify the need and opportunity for negotiations; how to be confident; how to prepare, lead, and adapt during negotiations.
This program is rooted in experiential learning. You’ll be challenged to negotiate with fellow participants, receive feedback, and reflect on your performance. You’ll leave confident in your ability to negotiate successfully.
Collaborative Negotiation is designed for all aspiring and established leaders responsible for cooperative projects both within and between organizations. The techniques and lessons in this program can be applied to any organization, role, or functional area across the public, private, and not-for-profit sectors.
Participants commonly include individuals in management to C-suite roles.
Identifying opportunities to create value
- Determine the benefits and potential risks of negotiating.
- Effectively prepare for negotiation through research, data analysis, and strategic planning.
- Listen actively to better understand the other party’s concerns, needs, and interests.
Adapting your negotiation approach
- Learn how to negotiate effectively in a variety of situations, ranging from single issue, two-party negotiations to multi-issue, multi-party negotiations.
- Balance confidence, assertiveness, patience, persistence, respect, and empathy for your negotiating partners.
- Articulate your position with clear, persuasive messaging to find a mutual agreement. Leverage candour to create shared value.
Developing confidence through simulations
- Practice a wide variety of negotiation scenarios, including one-on-one and group-on-group negotiations, negotiations with multiple partners, and one-off and repeated negotiations.
- Experience executing and receiving a variety of different negotiation strategies.
- Receive valuable feedback on your newly-acquired negotiation skills in a risk-free environment.
How You Learn
Collaborative Negotiation is deeply interactive, grounded in case research, and facilitated by expert faculty from Ivey Business School. Our real-world approach to learning is about practical application — through simulations, peer learning groups, and case studies. You'll finish the program ready to create shared value through negotiation back at work.Learn more about the Ivey Experience
Return on Investment
- Earn a credential from Ivey Business School. Your Collaborative Negotiation digital badge is linked to a unique URL, allowing you to showcase your advanced proficiency in online profiles.
- Form lifelong connections with peers through learning and social events. The Ivey Academy alumni network is a long-term resource for participants to share business opportunities or seek advice on life and career challenges.
- Explore new perspectives while taking time for mindfulness, reflection, and practice away from the demands of your day-to-day. Return to work with an open mind and increased confidence to be effective in your role.
- Receive discounts on select programs, exclusive event invitations, and curated collections of thought leadership and research from Ivey Business School.
- Advance your personal pathway for leadership development, enhance your long-term contribution to organizational success, and invest in planning for succession.
- Gain insights from across various sectors, industries, and organizations, borrowing best practices and new perspectives from outside your organization to jump-start innovation.
- Share new perspectives, frameworks, and research from Ivey with your team to build a greater sense of collaboration and cohesion.
- Find new opportunities for value creation within your organization through effective negotiation.
The program taught me SO much. I am very thankful for the opportunity and would definitely recommend this to others. Being a co-founder of a business with 200+ employees, it allowed me to gain insight of negotiation tactics being on the executive side of the fence. A+ overall!Dean Elkholy, Co-Founder & CSMO, Diply
I found that having the ability to see beyond the money and the bare facts will lead to a great understanding of the entire issue in the negotiation. Taking a conciliatory approach on an issue will definitely lead to improved relationships, stronger results and will give people the impression that you are a strategic advisor.Mark Wilson, Manager, Strategic Sourcing, Ontario Lottery & Gaming Corporation
The case studies we were given really put you in the "negotiators seat" and are a great learning tool to experience the many facets of negotiation. The variety of backgrounds of the class participants enhanced the learning for myself, as each responded to the material differently.Jack Vandenhof, Engineering Manager, Tenneco Canada Inc.
You won’t regret it. Simulations done in a very safe environment. Top notch program with amazing reach.Mark Daignault, Associate Director, Bell Canada
The program fee covers program materials, meals, and hotel accommodations for sessions at our Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre. Program sessions offered in Toronto and Calgary include program materials, breakfast, and lunch; participants are responsible for accommodations and meals outside of program hours. Program fees are tax-exempt.
Applications must be submitted no later than 14 days before the start of the program.
Seats in Collaborative Negotiation may be reserved for a limited time pending availability. Contact a program advisor to request a reservation. A program application must then be confirmed within 15 business days, and no less than 30 days before the program start date.
Programs are offered throughout the year in Calgary, London, Toronto, and online. Contact us to receive a notification of new dates for specific programs.
Our Program Managers will contact all registered participants prior to the program start date with instructions to join our online Learning Management System. Once logged in, you can create a class profile, view other participants' profiles, and access a list of assigned pre-reading, cases, and activities. Plan to review and complete preparation work in advance of each class session.