Ivey Emerging Leaders Program
Define your personal approach as a new leader and create a foundation for leadership success. Learn to inspire action, navigate conflict, and manage an effective team.
Purpose and Impact
New leaders often face the same challenge: learning to inspire, collaborate with, and rely on a team – instead of their technical expertise. Effectively managing direct reports requires a shift in perspective and new approaches to learning.
The Ivey Emerging Leaders Program is designed to help you build a foundation for success in your long-term leadership journey through a combination of self-assessment, peer learning, simulations, and faculty-led case discussions. Mindfully explore your approach to leadership, and work on constructing your future development path. Network with other leaders from across industries, learning best practices and finding actionable takeaways for your organization. Leap into your leadership potential with Ivey.
The Ivey Emerging Leaders Program is designed for early-career leaders to build a strong foundation of people management skills and self-awareness. Participants are often preparing for a future leadership role or may already oversee small teams of direct reports. You have demonstrated success as an individual contributor, and your organization has identified you as a candidate for advancement into positions requiring more responsibility and enhanced interpersonal collaboration. By learning the fundamentals of team leadership, you’ll start your management career on the right track.
Developing your leadership style
- Gain a deeper awareness of your leadership style.
- Identify the implications of your style for how you lead others.
- Understand how perceptual biases affect your interactions with peers, reports, and leaders.
Leading through collaboration
- Overcome and avoid common barriers to successful team collaboration.
- Nurture the right conditions for sustainable team success and learning.
- Practice making effective decisions under complex, uncertain environmental conditions.
Navigating conflicts and building trust
- Find opportunities for value creation in a conflict situation.
- Grow your confidence in your ability to manage conflict effectively.
- Build and maintain trust in collaborative relationships.
Managing your relationships upward
Understand and manage your relationship with your boss.
Influence and propose change upwards in your organization.
Position yourself for leadership growth in your career.
How You Learn
The Ivey Emerging Leaders Program is deeply experiential, grounded in case research, and facilitated by expert faculty from Ivey Business School. Our real-world approach to learning is about learning by doing. By working with peers, completing personal leadership assessments, and engaging in live simulations and role-play, you'll gain new skills and a network of emerging leaders to rely on throughout your career growth.Learn more about the Ivey Experience
Return on Investment
- Earn a credential from Ivey Business School. Your Ivey Emerging Leaders Program digital badge is linked to a unique URL, allowing you to showcase your advanced proficiency in online profiles.
- Form lifelong connections with peers through learning and social events. The Ivey Academy alumni network is a long-term resource for participants to share business opportunities or seek advice on life and career challenges.
- Explore new perspectives while taking time for mindfulness, reflection, and practice away from the demands of your day-to-day. Return to work with an open mind and increased confidence to be effective in your role.
- Receive discounts on select programs, exclusive event invitations, and curated collections of thought leadership and research from Ivey Business School.
- Advance your personal pathway for leadership development, enhance your long-term contribution to organizational success, and invest in planning for succession.
- Gain insights from across various sectors, industries, and organizations, borrowing best practices and new perspectives from outside your organization to jump-start innovation.
- Share new perspectives, frameworks, and research from Ivey with your team to build a greater sense of collaboration and cohesion.
- Elevate your ability to lead a high-performance team for sustainably successful outcomes.
The case model helps you connect deeply with people. It’s a diverse group of individuals from all walks, careers, and geographies, so there are a lot of different perspectives. You see so many ways of approaching the same challenge. This program has helped me prepare for the next step in my career.Mars Noorani, Communications Specialist, EDI, Western University
Seeing the common issues we all deal with in our leadership was incredibly validating. The program provided such a unique environment that allowed everyone to participate, have open conversations, and practice some of those new skills through simulations – it’s as close as you can get to real life without any added pressure.Jolene Vandekolk, Group Product Manager, CARFAX
The program offers excellent networking opportunities. You meet people at similar points in their careers, and because you’re on that same trajectory, they will be your peers for a long time to come. I already feel I can rely on my cohort for advice and support.Patricia Seaman, Director of Finance and Operations, New Brunswick Health Research Foundation
The faculty was amazing at facilitating deep conversations. There are no wrong answers – it’s a very free, open, and safe space to learn. I recommend that everyone take the program sooner than later in their managerial careers.Peter Tendvoorde, Partner, MW&Co.
A very stimulating program facilitated by a team of highly engaging instructors who create the perfect atmosphere to promote growth and understanding. The program is a well-rounded experience with simulations, class discussions, and case studies keeping you engaged. Time truly does fly by!Patrick Nickerson, Survey Manager, Inline Group
The program fee covers program materials, meals, and hotel accommodations for programs held at our Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre. Program sessions offered in Toronto and Calgary include program materials, breakfast, and lunch; participants are responsible for accommodations and meals outside of program hours. Program fees are tax-exempt.
Applications must be submitted no later than 14 days before the start of the program.
On the program page, select 'Apply Now' and choose your preferred start date. Submit the program application form and select a payment method. A program advisor may contact you to discuss your eligibility for the program. Once your application is approved, you will be billed directly or receive an invoice. Payment of program fees is due within 30 days of receipt of invoice and no less than 15 days before the program start date.
Organizations and participants in Canada may benefit from the Canada Job Grant or the Canada Training Credit to offset a portion of program fees. Visit our Funding Resources page to learn more.
Seats in the Ivey Emerging Leaders Program may be reserved for a limited time pending availability. Contact a program advisor to request a reservation. A program application must then be confirmed within 15 business days, and no less than 30 days before the program start date.