Ivey Leadership Program
Shape your leadership journey with a network of peers. Build the leadership skills you need to effectively manage people and orchestrate change for your organization.
The shift from managing a team to leading within an organization can be difficult to navigate. With greater seniority comes greater responsibility. In order to deliver long-term results for both you and your organization, you need to lead, not manage.
Rising leaders need to shift their perspective to a broader lens that encompasses the entire organization. To really make an impact, you’ll need to amplify your interpersonal leadership skills – the soft skills that will differentiate you from the rest of the pack.
Building on your experience and analysis of your personal leadership style, the Ivey Leadership Program will help you develop your leadership potential. Armed with enhanced influence and persuasion skills and the ability to think big picture, you will confidently make the shift from managing to leading.
Who Will Benefit
The Ivey Leadership Program is ideal for mid-to senior-level established leaders with experience managing teams and direct reports.
Participants commonly include individuals in Senior Manager, VP, and Director roles.
What You Learn
Leading individuals and teams for exceptional performance
- Apply best practices for performance management in complex simulated scenarios.
- Define your personal approach to truly human leadership and navigate successful 1-to-1 interactions.
- Find strategies to identify, recruit, and develop high-potential individuals on your team.
- Develop a deep understanding of your styles and habits with self- and peer-assessment tools.
Elevating your strategic thinking
- Understand the role of leaders in setting direction and communicating vision.
- Recognize and model the shared traits of highly effective leaders.
- Learn to lead change and drive innovation in your organization.
Practicing interpersonal leadership
- Build consensus and commitment from a team, even in difficult and high-pressure situations.
- Develop your negotiation skills to create shared value.
- Lead through influence and persuasion.
- Map your personal leadership journey and plan your future development path.
The Leadership Challenge
An essential feature of the Ivey Leadership Program is an application project where you'll identify a specific challenge you're facing at work now or in the near future before the program begins. The project is an anchor throughout the program as you formulate and execute a plan to solve the challenge using what you've learned.
Following the program, we'll provide an executive coach to help you maintain the momentum you've generated in solving your leadership challenge. Our coaches are solely focused on helping you accomplish the goals you've identified that you were initially unable to address. Within two to three months after the program, you'll have taken concrete steps to solve this problem — a tangible outcome directly attributed to your program learning.
Ivey-Certified Executive Coaching
Participants in the Ivey Leadership Program are matched with an Ivey-certified Executive Coach. With diverse backgrounds across the private sector, government, and nonprofit organizations, our coaches deliver firsthand insights on modern leadership challenges. Through our certification program, Ivey Coaches master our unique experiential learning approaches and stay connected with leading-edge business trends and frameworks. Once the program is complete, you’ll connect with your coach to stay accountable and sustain your learning.
How You Learn
Through case studies, experiential learning exercises, a 360-degree assessment and post-program coaching, you will journey to a deeper self-awareness of your own strengths and weaknesses as a leader. You’ll return to work with the skills you need to drive performance, orchestrate change, and develop a leadership culture within your organization.Learn more about the Ivey Experience
Return on Investment
- Earn a credential from Ivey Business School. Your Ivey Leadership Program digital badge is linked to a unique URL, allowing you to showcase your advanced proficiency in online profiles.
- Form lifelong connections with peers through learning and social events. The Ivey Academy alumni network is a long-term resource for participants to share business opportunities or seek advice on life and career challenges.
- Become your own case study by working with Ivey-certified executive coaches. Your coach becomes a confidential partner, helping you navigate “in the moment” challenges, illuminate blind spots, and accelerate decision-making.
- Receive discounts on select programs, exclusive event invitations, and curated collections of thought leadership and research from Ivey Business School.
- Complete self and peer assessments to build a deeper awareness of your personal approach and leadership style.
- Gain insights from across various sectors, industries, and organizations, borrowing best practices and new perspectives from outside your organization to jump-start innovation.
- Implement an Action Learning Project for your organization or team, applying your learning throughout the program to real-world challenges and opportunities. This approach solves tangible problems facing organizations and amplifies your return on investment.
- Share new perspectives, frameworks, and research from Ivey with your team to build a greater sense of collaboration and cohesion.
- Drive effective change management and innovation to keep your organization competitive and future-oriented.
This by far is the best leadership program that I’ve been on. The Ivey Academy gave me concrete tools to bring back with me to the office, but also gave me a chance to reflect on my leadership journey and better define my own style. It was the perfect balance of theory, networking and practice!Valery Brennan, Director, Citizenship Program Delivery, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
This has been a tremendous experience that is worth the money and time invested. Leadership is not about telling people who or how to do things, but truly taking people from where they are to where they ought to be. This program covered so many aspects of leadership on how to take my people from where they are to where they ought to be.Kunle Tauhid, Vice President, Finance and Consulting, Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
First class experience – I now understand why Ivey has the reputation of being one of Canada’s top business schools. The faculty is top notch with high academic skills coupled with an amazing emotional and intellectual engagement with all their students. The methodology used to facilitate learning is highly engaging – providing the learner with knowledge, skills and tools to be an effective leader.Ken Dufault, Vice President & General Manager, Medigas Manitoba Ltd.
If you are at all interested in gaining an edge – learning about how you can be an exceptional leader and how that can translate into business results, then this is a great use of your time and investment.Alison DeMuy, Senior Manager, Waterloo Wellington Local Health Integration Network
I was a bit concerned with the time commitment (a week) especially during our “budget” time at work but the course was so worth it!! Excellent program, excellent facility, excellent staff.Shelley Kinney, Director, Financial Planning & Operational Finance, Cavendish Farms
An excellent investment of time, effort and resources. Walked away feeling inspired to make some changes in my leadership style. Really enjoyed the case study method of learning.Jayna D’Agostino, Chief of Staff to the Assistant Commissioner, Canada Revenue Agency
This program exceeded my expectations and made me see a new potential in my leadership abilities. Learning from both the faculty and my peers was such a worthwhile experience; I would recommend it to anyone looking to expand their skill set.Carla DiLellio, Human Resources Manager, Great Northern Insulation
The Ivey Academy creates a learning experience that make everyone feel comfortable. This in turn allows for deeper learning. You cannot leave The Ivey Academy without making friends.Wayne Robert, Vice President, Aisin Canada Inc.
The program fee covers program materials, meals, and hotel accommodations. Program fees are tax-exempt.
Applications must be submitted no later than 14 days before the start of the program.
The Ivey Leadership Program is offered in-residence throughout the year in Banff and London. Contact us to receive a notification of new dates for specific programs.
On the program page, select 'Apply Now' and choose your preferred start date. Submit the program application form and select a payment method. A program advisor may contact you to discuss your eligibility for the program. Once your application is approved, you will be billed directly or receive an invoice. Payment of program fees is due within 30 days of receipt of invoice and no less than 15 days before the program start date.
Our Program Managers will contact all registered participants prior to the program start date with instructions to join our online Learning Management System. Once logged in, you will be able to create a class profile, view other participants' profiles, and access a list of assigned pre-reading, cases, and activities. Plan to review and complete preparation work in advance of each class session.