Join us for one of our upcoming sessions.
Sending multiple employees? This program is offered in a customized format for groups of 15+. Contact us for details.
Who Should Attend?
Mid- to senior-level leaders who desire to master powerful influencing and persuasion skills which guarantee new levels of leadership, presence and high-impact communication.
What You Learn
Learning is organized around the core themes of Winning Strategies to Influence, Persuade and Lead Others; Delivering Powerful Presentations; Using the High-Performing Team to Make a Difference; and Principles Underlying Effective Communication.
Winning Strategies to Influence, Persuade and Lead Others
- Master effective ways to lead, influence and motivate others...beyond your present abilities
- Learn how to give constructive and candid feedback, as well as the grace to receive it
- Learn how to influence others over whom you have no authority
- Master how to be persuasive even in impromptu speeches/responses
- Internalize influencing skills which enable you to move beyond motivational to inspirational
- Keys to turning your dreams into goals and pursuing the possible
Delivering Powerful Presentations
- Learn the three “Ps” critical in delivering persuasive, effective presentations that boost your confidence
- Learn how to analyze the audience in a “blink” of an eye
- Identify the three keys to high-impact communication that presenters never consider
- Learn how to deal brilliantly with challenging questions and “hecklers”
- Understand the importance of non-verbal communication in presentations
- Master how to use appropriate language for your audience and truly speak their language
- Design visuals that support you...not upstage you
- Receive personal feedback on your videotaped presentation skills from peers and faculty
Using the High-Performing Team to Make a Difference
- Identify the ten requirements for influence and productivity in an effective team
- How to implement the 4:8 rule
- Learn how to create a “balanced” team with all communication styles present
- Share your vision persuasively in order to gain team buy-in and followership
Principles Underlying Effective Communication
- Understand the four different leadership communication styles and how to communicate more effectively with each
- Learn the importance of leading by listening between the lines with the “third ear”
- Master skills required to confront and deal effectively with difficult situations/ conversations
- Identify the two “big ticket items” determining your charisma
- Master ways to develop and support excellence in others
How You Learn
This is Not about Text Books and Lectures
If you are having a hard time imagining yourself in a classroom again, keep in mind that the Ivey Influence and Persuasion Program is designed with busy leaders in mind. It is an engaging, interactive experience that draws on the vast perspectives that you and your classmates will bring to the program. Our real-world method of learning is not about textbooks and lectures – it’s about learning by doing. You’ll put yourself in the role of decision-maker and take on real challenges faced by real companies to gain practical hands-on experience. You’ll come away with new knowledge and ideas that are directly applicable to your business and that will have immediate impact.
Create Immediate Impact
Throughout the program, you will track your learning outcomes and pinpoint specific initiatives to implement. You leave knowing exactly how you will apply your new knowledge and skills, and a self-developed implementation plan to start your impact once back in the office.
|Public Sector: 15%
|Oil and Gas/Energy: 10%
|55 and older: 7%
||40 - 44: 28%
|50 - 54: 7%
||35 - 39: 28%
|45 - 49: 14%
||30 - 34: 14%
Select Participating Organizations
|Cadillac Fairview Corporation
||Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
|Canadian National Railway
|HSBC Bank Canada
|Labatt Breweries of Canada
||McDonald's Restaurants of Canada
||Royal Canadian Mint
“This course was fantastic – it showcased very advanced, up-to-date and practical tools for me to apply to my workplace. The faculty was also very available and prepared to make an engaging learning experience for all students. I highly recommend this class to all aspiring leaders.”
—Alex Chan, Director, Canadian Stewardship Services Alliance Inc.
“This course blew me away… so much more than a theoretical class on leadership. It walks the talk and takes everyone right out of their comfort zone in a great way. Highly recommend!”
—Michael Hudgin, Assistant Portfolio Manager, Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
Denis S.J. Shackel
Denis taught elementary grades in New Zealand (1963-1969) while earning his B.A., Diploma of Teaching, Diploma of Education and M.A. (First Class Hons.). He completed his Ph.D. in School Psychology at Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (University of Toronto) where he taught Educational Psychology from 1971 to 2000. He was honoured as the Professor of the Year (2000) when he retired from O.I.S.E. and moved to London. He was similarly honoured when he received the highest U.W.O. Teaching Award following his first year teaching at Ivey and the same award again in 2010.
His outstanding teaching record has led to his being selected as "Leader In Faculty Teaching" [LIFT] by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities in July 2007.
He has been President of his management consulting company (Unlocking of Talents) since 1978 and has presented numerous workshops to managers in business, industry and government agencies around the world. The Canadian Management Centre and the American Management Association describes Denis as: " A creative, courageous and energetic visionary who radiates a positive professional presence with confidence and humility…a truly world class educator".
Where You Learn
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This state-of-the-art facility is located in the heart of Toronto’s Financial District and provides the perfect backdrop for executive courses.