In partnership with Canadian business schools, Mitacs is launching the Business Strategy Internship Program. The award will provide $10,000 per student to interested undergraduate and graduate students to undertake a four-month strategic project with a small or medium sized company (SME). Projects will be structured to undertake a strategic analysis of an SME to help them restore or modify their business operations in a new business environment disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Throughout the project, Mitacs provides online professional development opportunities to students.
The primary goals of the program are to:
- Provide students with the opportunity to apply business concepts and theories to real-world decision-making
- Provide support to SMEs who need additional assistance in modifying their business operations to adapt to the new economic reality
- Build and strengthen connections and collaborations between companies and academic institutions
- Build students’ skills (communication, problem solving, innovation, resilience, managing complexity, navigating change, business continuity planning, etc.) and apply their education through an experiential learning opportunity
- Provide new and broadened training and career opportunities for students by expanding their network with faculty, businesses and community
If you would like to consider making a gift to provide students with the opportunity to participate in the Business Strategy Internship program, visit https://secure2.convio.net/uwo/iveyForm.html (Please note in “Other” that your gift is in support of the Entrepreneurial Experience Fund).
If you have any questions, about donations or offering of an internship, please contact Tara Grzegorczyk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-850-2901.
- Be an undergraduate or graduate student at a business school associated with a Canadian academic institution
- Not a current, active participant in another Mitacs program
- Be able to hold Tri-Council funding
Partner organizations must:
- Be a small to mid-sized company with less than 500 full-time employees
- Should be an incorporated NFP
- The Mitacs Business Strategy Internship will provide a grant of $10,000 per student with the full amount of the award going towards student stipend. The academic institution and the partner organization will each contribute $2,500 towards the award.
- Projects will be designed to address one or more business strategy components (i.e., marketing strategy, operations strategy, finance strategy, etc.) dependent on the need of the SME
- Each project will require supervision from a supervisor at the partner organization and an academic supervisor or a point person appointed by the institution to oversee the work and the student.
- Students are expected to meet weekly with their supervisors to report on the progress of their project. Virtual meetings are acceptable.
- Both students and supervisors will be required to complete an exit survey at the end of the program reporting on skills developed and providing feedback on the program experience.
- Projects will be reviewed by the academic institutions prior to submission to Mitacs
- Projects submitted to Mitacs will then be evaluated internally to confirm eligibility with the program
- Students must complete a Final Report summarizing the work that was completed to their academic supervisor during the last week of the award term.
- Supplemental online training activities will be provided to the students through the Mitacs learning management system, EDGE
Mitacs is a national not-for-profit organization that designs and delivers research and training programs in Canada. For 20 years, Mitacs has worked with over 65 universities and academic institutions, thousands of companies, and federal and provincial governments to build partnerships that support talent development and deployment.