You are an accomplished and committed physician who is considering or have been appointed to a leadership role within your health care organization or practice group. As a physician leader, you are now expected to understand and apply management concepts (designing, implementing, and managing program or services) in your new role that are not taught in medical school or your postgraduate training.
If you want to learn about how these management concepts can help you, the physician leader, or those who aspire to lead, you should think about enrolling in this program - “Management Principles for Physicians”.
This joint offering from the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry and Ivey Business School will provide the participant with practical ways to incorporate managerial concepts into enhancing health care delivery. This course presumes no prior exposure to business management concepts.
To provide physician managers with business principles to improve quality, minimize cost, and enhance efficiency in health care delivery.
At the successful completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Apply the concept of design thinking to defining a problem and planning a solution
- Apply managerial principles to the selection and planning of new programs or services
- Apply program management approach to implementing change and measuring performance
- In this module participants will learn to apply design thinking concept to development of innovative solution development.
- Participants will learn the key alternatives and criteria for selecting, designing and developing an operational process to support organizational objectives.
- Participants will learn the principles of leading a change management initiative and the ongoing management and deployment of a new operational system.
- Participants will learn the basic skills and tools of project management and the tactics that will enable leadership of effective teams
$1100.00 (Canadian funds) + 13% HST
Tuition includes: 7 hours of case-based, interactive curriculum delivered by Ivey faculty with expertise in the health care sector.
Continental breakfast, lunch, and refreshment breaks
Tuition does not include travel or accommodations.
Refunds: Requests for refunds must be received in writing at least 30 days prior to the course date. An administration fee of 20% of the tuition fee will be charged for refund requests received 30 days or more prior to the course date. CPD regrets that refunds cannot be issued within 30 days of the course date.
Samuel Siu, MD, SM, MBA, FRCPC
Professor of Medicine
Coordinator of Physician Leadership Program
Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, Western University
David Barrett, PhD, MBA, CMA, CPA
Assistant Professor of Operations Management
Executive Director, Ivey International Centre for Health Innovation
Ivey Business School at Western University
PrerequisitesThis course is strictly for physicians who are currently in practice or who are completing advanced postgraduate medical training.
Health Sector Events