Linda Hasenfratz, EMBA '97; Tina Lee, HBA '03; and, former Ivey dean Carol Stephenson were among the female executives at a roundtable discussion with U.S. President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on advancing women.
Following the meeting, a White House official said the two countries will launch a new task force called the United States Canada Council for the Advancement of Women Business Leaders-Female Entrepreneurs, which will address barriers to women in the workforce.
Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, who has been advocating policies benefiting working women, recruited female executives from both countries to participate. Among others, Canadian representatives included:
- Hasenfratz, CEO of global auto parts giant, Linamar, and an Ivey Advisory Board member;
- Lee, CEO of Canada’s largest Asian supermarket chain, T&T Supermarket Inc.;
- Stephenson, a member of General Motors Co.’s Board of Directors;
- Elyse Allan, CEO of digital industrial company, General Electric Canada;
- Dawn Farrell, CEO of electricity power generator company, TransAlta Corp.; and,
- Annette Verschuren, CEO of energy storage project developer, NRStor Inc.
Hasenfratz, Allan, and Verschuren have all been guest speakers at Ivey.
“It was a great initiative," said Hasenfratz. "It's absolutely the right thing, to build common ground.”