- Jan 28, 2020
Today, the Ivey Business School named Dave McKay, MBA ’92, LLD ’19, President and CEO of RBC, recipient of this year’s Ivey Business Leader Award. He will address distinguished members of Canada’s business community at the 30th annual gala dinner in Toronto on October 28, 2020.
Since joining RBC in 1983 as a co-op student, McKay has been recognized as a champion of innovation and big ideas. Since taking on the role as President and CEO in 2014, he’s been on a journey to reimagine the future of financial services to help RBC’s clients thrive and communities prosper. He’s driven investments in new technologies and business models to bring the physical and digital worlds together and provide best-in-class digital experiences for RBC clients. He also led the acquisition of City National Bank, creating a platform for growth in the U.S.
“Dave McKay is a masterful strategist and innovator. He has led RBC through very disruptive times by introducing cutting edge technology helping the bank to evolve with changing consumer demands,” said Sharon Hodgson, Dean, Ivey Business School. “It is exciting to have this year’s recipient as a proud Ivey alum.”
In Canada, McKay is a passionate advocate for the country’s future prosperity, including preparing youth for the future of work. He spearheaded RBC Future Launch, a 10-year, $500 million commitment to help young people build the skills required for a rapidly changing world. McKay is also active in his community, including serving on the Board of Trustees for the Hospital for Sick Children and chairing the Business/Higher Education Roundtable bringing together Canada’s top businesses, universities and colleges to find ways to better link workplaces and classrooms.
McKay holds a Bachelor of Mathematics and an honorary Doctor of Mathematics degree from the University of Waterloo. He also holds an MBA and an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from the Ivey Business School at Western University, and an honorary degree from Ryerson University.
“Dave McKay stands out as a formidable leader in corporate Canada,” said Darin Deschamps, HBA ’87, Head, Wells Fargo Securities Canada and co-chair of the Ivey Business Leader Award Committee. “He has a special combination of business acumen, strategic vision and community commitment which distinguish him from other leaders.”
Deschamps and Doug Guzman, HBA ’88, Group Head, RBC Wealth Management, RBC Insurance and RBC Investor & Treasury Services, chair the Ivey Business Leader Award that will be presented at a black-tie dinner on October 28, 2020 at The Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Toronto. Proceeds from the annual event support HBA and MBA student awards through the Ivey Fund Scholars program.
McKay joins an esteemed list of past Ivey Business Leader Award recipients demonstrating leadership in both business and their communities. Previous recipients of the award include:
- 2019: Peter Gilgan, Chairman and CEO, Mattamy Asset Management
- 2018: Dean Connor, President and CEO, Sun Life Financial
- 2017: Linda Hasenfratz, President and CEO, Linamar
- 2016: Gord Nixon, Former President and CEO, Royal Bank of Canada
- 2015: Jeff Orr, President and CEO, Power Financial Corporation
- 2014: Bonnie Brooks, Vice Chair, Hudson’s Bay Company
- 2013: George Cope, CEO Bell Canada
- 2012: Rick George, Former CEO Suncor Inc.
- 2011: Ed Clark, Group President and CEO of TD Bank Group (TD)
- 2010: Peter Munk, Founder and Chairman of Barrick Gold Corporation
- 2009: Richard J. Currie, Past Chairman, BCE Inc. and former President, Loblaw Companies Limited and George Weston Limited
- 2008: Dominic D'Alessandro, President & CEO, Manulife Financial
- 2007: Claude Lamoureux, President & CEO and Robert Bertram, Executive Vice-President, Investments, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
- 2006: Isadore Sharp, Chairman and CEO, Four Seasons Hotels Inc.
- 2005: Peter Godsoe, former Chairman and CEO, The Bank of Nova Scotia
- 2002: Gwyn Morgan, President and CEO, EnCana Corporation
- 2001: Harrison McCain, Chairman, McCain Foods Limited, and G. Wallace McCain, Chairman, Maple Leaf Foods Inc.
- 2000: Purdy Crawford, Chairman, AT&T Canada
- 1999: Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited, led by Prem Watsa, Chairman
- 1998: Paul Desmarais, Chairman, Power Corporation of Canada
- 1997: Frank Stronach, Chairman of the Board, Magna International Inc.
- 1996: Jean C. Monty, President and CEO, Northern Telecom Limited
- 1995: Jack Lawrence, Deputy Chairman, Nesbitt Burns Inc.
- 1994: Robert Nourse, President and CEO, The Bombay Company Inc.
- 1993: Cedric E. Ritchie, Chairman, The Bank of Nova Scotia
- 1992: John C. Carroll, President and CEO, Molson Breweries
- 1991: John M. Thompson, Chairman and CEO, IBM Canada Limited
About the Ivey Business School, Western University
The Ivey Business School (www.ivey.ca) at Western University is Canada’s leading provider of relevant, innovative and comprehensive business education. Drawing on extensive research and business experience, Ivey faculty provides the best classroom experience, equipping graduates with the skills and capabilities they need to tackle the leadership challenges in today’s complex business world. Ivey offers world-renowned undergraduate and graduate degree programs, as well as Executive Education at campuses in London (Ontario), Toronto and Hong Kong.