Richard Ivey Building 2341
- Supply Chain Management
- Management Accounting
- Healthcare Operations Management
- Healthcare Sector Strategic Management
- Lean Management and Process Improvement
- Activity Based Costing
- To search for publications by a specific faculty member, select the database and then select the name from the Author drop down menu.
Dr. Barrett is an Operations Management Professor in the HBA, MBA and EMBA programs at Ivey. Dr. Barrett’s past interactions and experiences with healthcare clinicians and administrators has largely motivated his focused interest in advancing scholarly theorization and managerial understanding of the requisite operational and organizational capabilities that underpin the productive deployment of a systematic lean management approach. His personal research focuses on the design, delivery and capture of value for and from customers through the deployment of a well-designed lean management approach.
From 2015-20, Dr. Barrett served as the Executive Director of the Ivey International Centre for Health Innovation (IICHI). At IICHI, his team of researchers focused on value based healthcare initiatives and efforts to enhance the value created and captured through systematic improvements and disruptions to the healthcare delivery value chain and for the healthcare system in totality.
Prior to completing his MBA at Ivey and embarking on a management consulting career based in Boston, David was an elite level men’s hockey coach. His unique blend of coaching, consulting and academic training enables him to apply a rare mix of skills and perspectives to problems within the operations and supply chain functional areas of a business.
Dr. Barrett is a Certified Management Accountant and a Chartered Professional Accountant. He serves as the Chair of the Research and Business Committee, the Bone & Joint Institute Western University, Co-Chair of Value Based Healthcare Canada at the Conference Board of Canada, and as a Member, Academic Thought Leadership Committee, for Kinaxis Canada.
- Operations Management, HBA, EMBA
- The Business of Health, MBA
- Healthcare Sector Leadership & Innovation, HBA
- Learning Through Action, HBA
- PhD, Ivey Business School at Western University
- MBA, Ivey Business School at Western University
- BComm, Mount Allison University
Work in Progress
- David Barrett & Larry Menor, “Just Do It, Just Fail: The Role of Preparation vs. Implementation in the Development of a Lean Deployment Competence"
- David Barrett & Larry Menor, “Healthcare Lean Management: How Value Is Designed, Delivered and Captured in the United States Hospital Environment"
Honours & Awards
- 2015 Canadian Interuniversity Sport and Ontario University Sport Coach of the Year 2015
- 2015 Canadian Interuniversity Sport National Champion and Ontario University Sport Provincial Champion Women’s Hockey
- Deans Honour List, Ivey School of Business
- Lecturer in Operations Management and Cost Accounting, DAN School of Management & Organizational Studies, Western University
- Coach, Women’s Varsity Hockey, Western University
- Managing Partner, Creative Business Consulting Group
- Senior Manager, Axia Consulting
- Consultant, Adventis Consulting