The Ben Graham Centre for Value Investing held its inaugural 2014 Stock Picking Competition at the MBA level in Toronto on April 7, 2014.
Teams from MBA schools from around the world competed for $17,500 in cash prizes. Three finalist teams made presentations to a panel of distinguished value investors at the ING Center in Toronto. On April 8, they attended the Ben Graham Centre’s Value Investing Conference and on April 9, the Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. Annual General Meeting in Toronto, Canada.
“Budding value investors find Liquor Stores NA is no bargain”, The Globe Investor Magazine Online, April 22, 2014.
“Ivey students were top pick at worldwide MBA stock picking competition”, Ivey Business School, April 10, 2014.
Winners Competition Winners
Three teams were selected to participate in the competition finals held on April 7th, 2014 in Toronto, Canada. The panel of judges was thoroughly impressed by all three presentations. The finalist teams were ranked as follows:
1st Place: Western University (Ivey Business School)
Team members: Matt Vines, Catherine Yi and Omid Ameri
2nd Place: University of Toronto (Rotman School of Management)
Team members: Taylor Self, Jimmy Desai and Ke Sun
3rd Place: Carnegie Mellon University (Tepper School of Business)
Team members: Greg Martin, Greg Mazares and John Streppa
2014 Stock Picking Competition Photos
Ivey Business School team (left to right: Matt Vines, Catherine Yi, Omid Ameri)
University of Toronto team (left to right: Taylor Self, Jimmy Desai, Ke Sun)
Carnegie Mellon University team (left to right: Greg Martin, Greg Mazares, John Streppa)
The following schools participated in the inaugural Ben Graham Centre’s stock picking competition and contributed to the competition’s success. Each of these schools put forward excellent research reports in the first round of the competition making the judges choices for the final round challenging.
- Carnegie Mellon University – Tepper School of Business
- Columbia University – Columbia Business School
- Dartmouth College – Tuck School of Business
- HEC Montreal
- Kong University of Science and Technology – HKUST Business School
- Indian School of Business
- London Business School
- McGill University – Desautels Faculty of Management
- Monash University
- University of British Columbia – Sauder School of Business
- University of Chicago – Booth School of Business
- University of New Brunswick
- University of Toronto – Rotman School of Management
- University of Virginia – Darden School of Business
- Western University – Ivey Business School
- York University – Schulich School of Business
We would like to thank Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. for their generous support in sponsoring the 2014 competition.