The Ben Graham Centre for Value Investing held its 2016 Stock Picking Competition at the MBA level in Toronto on April 12, 2016.
Teams from MBA schools from around the world competed for $17,500 in cash prizes. Three finalist teams made presentations to a panel of distinguished value investors at the Ivey Tangerine Leadership Centre in Toronto. On April 13, the finalist teams attended the Ben Graham Centre’s Value Investing Conference where the winners were announced. On April 14, they attended the Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. Annual General Meeting in Toronto.
"Students put Publicis to the value test"
Globe and Mail, April 25, 2015
“Bullish on Chicago's stock picking talent”
Ivey Business School, April 19, 2016.
Three teams were selected to participate in the competition finals held on April 12th, 2016 in Toronto, Canada. The panel of judges was thoroughly impressed by all three presentations. The finalist teams were ranked as follows:
1st Place: University of Chicago
Team members: Nicholas Anderson, Bradley Powell, Russell Waldman
2nd Place: University of Waterloo
Team members: Michael Blake, Oni Prisecaru, Rocken Wong
3rd Place: Ivey Business School at Western University
Team members: Kyle Hartlen, Rahim Murji, James Zhang
2016 Stock Picking Competition Photos
Ken Broekaert of Burgundy Asset Management (far left) and Ivey Professor George Athanassakos (far right) with members of the winning team from University of Chicago
Univesrity of Chicago students presenting their valuation
University of Waterloo students presenting their valuation
Ivey Business School students presenting their valuation
The following schools participated in the 2016 Ben Graham Centre’s stock picking competition and contributed to the competition’s success. Each of these schools put forward excellent research reports in the first round of the competition making the judges choices for the final round challenging.
- Alliance Manchester Business School
- Aristotle University
- Cambridge University – Judge Business School
- China Europe International Business School
- Columbia University – Columbia Business School
- Dartmouth College – Tuck School of Business
- East Tennessee State University
- Frankfurt School of Business
- IE University
- Indian Institutes of Management
- McGill University
- National University of Singapore
- Saint Mary's University – Sobey School of Business
- University of California Berkley – Haas Business School
- University of Chicago – Booth School of Business
- University of Waterloo
- USC Marshall
- Western University – Ivey Business School
- York University – Schulich School of Business