Security & Identity | Toronto, ON | Founded: 2005 | Employees: 11-50 | www.enstream.com
Last updated January 17, 2019 | To download a PDF version, click here.
EnStream is a financial technology company located in Toronto, Ontario that provides identity verification, device authentication, and location services for 3rd party applications. It is a joint venture owned by Bell Mobility, Rogers, and TELUS. The company has direct access to mobile telecommunication information in Canada, which is used to provide customers with timely and accurate verification of mobile subscriber identity and related account and service information.
Almis Ledas: President and COO (2011-Present). Previously: VP Corporate Development, Bell Mobility (2001-2011); VP Marketing, Bell Mobility (1999-2001); Director, Planning and Research, Bell Mobility (1990-1999); Senior Consultant, Ernst & Young (1987-1990). Education: MBA, University of Toronto – Rotman School of Management (1984-1985); BASc, Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto (1977-1981).
Robert Blumenthal: CIO (2015-Present). Previously: EVP, Marketing & Business Development, SecureKey Technologies Inc. (2011-2015); President, Virgin Mobile Canada (2009-2011); President and CEO, Digit Wireless (2007-2009). Education: Marketing for Technology-based Businesses, Ivey Business School (1994); M. Eng., Electrical Engineering, McGill University (1984-1986).
Yiping Ye: CTO (2014-Present). Previously: Director, Technology and Product, EnStream LP (2010-2014); Software Solution Architect, EnStream LP (2008-2010); Co-founder, Celltrigen Inc. (2007-2008); Senior Staff Software Engineer, Product Architect, Motorola (1997-2007). Education: M.S., E.C.E., University of Waterloo; B.S., E.C.E, Nanjing University.
In 2005, Bell Mobility, Rogers, and TELUS launched Wireless Payment Services, which was later re-branded as Enstream LP. The telecommunications companies involved in the joint venture recognized that their customer account information could be used for identity verification, device authentication, and location services. EnStream introduced its mobile payment business, Zoompass, in 2009, although it was later divested in 2012.
Bell Mobility, Rogers, and TELUS funded the venture, although the amount each company invested is undisclosed.
Key Corporate Developments
Press releases: https://www.enstream.com/news
October 16, 2012: EnStream Joint Venture Divests Zoompass Mobile Payment Business
February 22, 2018: EnStream Announces Enhanced Consumer Identity Verfication Service
June 18, 2018: Payfone and EnStream Announce Partnership to Kill Passwords with Global Federated Digigal Identity Platform
EnStream leverages technology to offer three different services:
- Identity Verification: EnStream’s identity verification services allow customers to verify identity information, including name, address, date of birth, and contact number. The data is sourced from Bell Mobility, Rogers, and TELUS. The service also sends push notifications to customers to notify them if any changes have been made to their account.
- Device Authentication: EnStream’s device authentication reduces the potential for a customer’s account being taken over and fraud risks.
- Location Services: EnStream’s location services provide customers with real-time mobile device location without having to download software.
- Instant Account Opening: EnStream provides customers with mobile subscriber information, which can be used to instantly verify customer information when they sign up for a service.
- AML Compliance: EnStream helps customers comply with AML and KYC rules by providing them with mobile subscriber information.
- Contact Number Verification: EnStream helps customers maintain up to date contact information by determining if a phone number is valid and in-service.
- Fraud Detection: EnStream provides customers with unique subscriber tokens, which are used for mobile-enhanced authentication. It ensures that a device is the same device initially used to sign up for a service.
- Roadside Assistance: EnStream helps roadside assistance companies determine your location.
- Geo-restricted Service Verification: EnStream aids customers in determining eligibility for a product or service based on location.
- Transportation & Logistics: EnStream assists transportation companies in tracking their shipments and trucks.
EnStream uses Google Cloud to operate its identity verification services platform. The cloud enables customers to access mobile subscriber information from anywhere around the world. It meets ISO 27001, SOC1, SOC2, and SSAE16 security requirements.
EnStream provides its identity verification services through its online platform.
EnStream limits its marketing expenses by advertising primarily through its website. The company does host events on a regular to promote its services.
EnStream has two primary competitors in the identity verification industry:
- Trulioo – (Vancouver, BC) Trulioo is a regulation technology company that offers identity verification services for businesses and organizations.
- TransUnion – (Burlington, ON) TransUnion offers a variety of identity verification products that help customers identify consumers, support compliance, and reduce fraud.
Corporate Profile Created By: Connor Guy, Ivey HBA 2019