This event is a collaboration between the Ivey Centre for Health Innovation, the Centre for Building Sustainable Value, the Energy Policy and Management Centre, and the Scotiabank Digital Banking Lab.
The Canadian Business Frontiers conference will convene Canada’s top leaders across finance, energy, health and government sectors to discuss the impact of technology disruption on Canadians. Technology does not exist in isolation and this cross-sector dialogue is needed to ensure positive change and sustainable outcomes for the benefit of our society. Highlights include featured talks from world-class leaders, award winning faculty and networking opportunities with some of Canada’s best. Join the cross-sectoral conversation to help guide technology towards positive outcomes for society.
If you want to ensure that all Canadians benefit from technology, not only in your sector but across all industries, you must attend this interactive one-day session.
What You Can Expect
About our speakers:
We’ve gathered some of today’s leading minds to help you understand the opportunities and responsibilities business has in creating a better Canada.
Keynote Speaker David Blood:
The co-founder and senior partner of Generation Investment Management will show you how long-term thinking can unlock real business opportunities and cut through the turbulence created by technological fads.
Morning panel sessions:
Engage with industry experts in a conversation about the impact of technology on society. For example, we’ll examine issues that affect every Canadian and every sector:
- Are people ready to trust their money to an algorithm? Of leave their investments in the circuits of A.I.?
- Are we ready to shift to low-carbon energy, and what are the implications for one of Canada’s major industrial platforms?
- Is it possible to re-imagine mental health through the lens of artificial intelligence?
Afternoon deep dives:
Now we transition from the big picture to the practical. Ivey faculty will help you discover the ways business can help solve societal challenges in the areas of finance, the environment, and society. Choose your area of focus and help determine the steps necessary to make technology a benefit to society.
Keynote Iain Stewart:
As president of the National Research Council, one of Canada’s largest tech organizations, Iain will give tips on how to manage your organization through the turbulence of technological change.
By end of day:
You will leave with a better understanding of the business opportunities that can take advantage of technology to create a better Canada.
8:00 - 8:45 AM: Registration
8:45 - 9:00 AM: Welcome
- The Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario
- Mark Vandenbosch, Acting Dean, Ivey Business School
9:00 - 9:45 AM: Navigating disruptions in financial markets
- David Blood, Co-Founder with Al Gore of Generation Investment Management
9:45 - 10:30 AM: Data, trust and information: How can we leverage technology to create trusted networks?
- Host: Diane-Laure Arjaliès, Ivey Business School.
- Speakers: Tolga Kortoglu (CEO, PARC), Alex Lvovsky (CIFAR & University of Oxford)
10:30 - 10:45 AM: Break
10:45 - 11:30 AM: Fuelling growth: How can we combine new human approaches with technology to improve our energy systems?
- Host: Tima Bansal, Ivey Business School.
- Speakers: Alán Asparu-Guzik (CIFAR & University of Toronto), Jon Mitchell (General Manager of Strategy & Integration, Suncor Energy)
11:30 AM - 12:15 PM: Technology and Mental Health: How can practitioners better utilize technology to improve mental healthcare?
- Host: David Barrett and Lisa Bitacola, Ivey Business School.
- Speakers: Victor Garcia (Managing Director, ABCLive Corporation), Cheryl Forchuk (Western University), Niraj Dalmia (Deloitte), Shanil Ebrahim (Deloitte)
12:15 - 12:30 PM: Lunch
12:30 - 2:00 PM: Deep dive: Choose one of three themes: fintech, technology in mental healthcare, and energy transitions.
- Fintech Facilitated by Diane-Laure Arjaliès (Ivey Business School). Speakers: Paul Allard (Founder and President, Impak Finance) + more to come
- Technology in Mental Healthcare Facilitated by Dave Barrett and Lisa Bitacola (Ivey Business School). Speakers: Christine Zhu (Senior Product Manager, Elizz), Shahira Bhimani (Director, MaRS EXCITE), Ronen Benin (CEO, Avail), Amos Adler (Founder, MEMOTEXT)
- Energy Transitions Facilitated by Brian Rivard and Brandon Schaufele (Ivey Business School). Speakers: Annette Vershuren (Chair and CEO, NRStor), James Scongack (EVP Corporate Affairs & Operational Services, Bruce Power)
The discussion will focus on:
- What problems does the technology address? What problems does the technology create?
- For those technologies that are societally 'positive', what enables and inhibits business' ability to implement?
- What gaps in management capabilities and knowledge must be addressed to help implement these technologies?
2:00 - 2:30 PM: Plenary synthesis and lessons
2:30 - 3:00 PM: Leading organizations through disruption
- Iain Stewart, President, National Research Council
3:00 - 4:30 PM: Networking reception
Who Should Come?
Leaders in finance, energy, the health sector, and government who want to ensure that technology benefits Canadians, and that cross-sector dialogue is needed for positive change.
Thank you for your interest. All available student spots have now been filled.