Empowering the next generation of sustainable leaders
Ivey's HBA Sustainability Certificate welcomes its eleventh cohort of students in September 2019. Directed by Oana Branzei and funded by RBC, the Certificate empowers Ivey HBA students to build and lead more sustainable organizations. It includes a coordinated set of courses and experiences designed to provide a strong grounding in the principles and best practices of sustainability. The program positions students to begin their journeys as responsible C-Suite decision-makers, entrepreneurs, non-profit leaders and policymakers.
Learn more about past certificate events in our student written blogs:
- A Closing Ceremony that opened new doors (March 2019)
- HBA reflect on Sustainability Certificate kick-off (September 2018)
- Sustainability is a new design for the fashion industry (October 2017)
- Committed to starting their personal social or sustainable ventures.
- Interested in sustainability consulting.
- Having a personal calling to make a difference, wanting to blend this calling with a successful career in traditional organizations.
- Interested in pursuing sustainable opportunities after gaining insights through traditional job placements.
- Mentor students
- Participate as speakers in sustainability events
If you're a manager wanting to engage with students in this program, contact email@example.com
- September 16th, 2019 6-9PM: Difference-makers – a live case with real-time dilemmas presented by the executive team.
- September 27th, 2019 9AM-5PM: Impact Day – on-site hands-on activities hosted by multiple leaders & organizations.
- January 13th, 2020 1-5PM: Gamechangers – alumni reunion, mentorship and recruiting event
- March 18th, 2020 6-9PM: Keynote, closing ceremony and networking with faculty, EIRs and the incoming 2020-21 cohort.
The Certificate in Sustainability has both credit and non-credit requirements, as outlined below.
0.75 required courses: To complete the Certificate you must successfully complete HBA1 and the following HBA2 courses:
- 4620 Impact Assessment (Half-Course)
- 4584 Giving Voice to Leadership (Quarter Course)
1.0 electives: You must also complete a minimum of 1.0 credits from the following:
- 4458 Leading Change (Half Course)
- 4525 International Business Environment Studies: Service Learning in Africa (Half Course)
- 4619 The Performing Leader (Half Course)
- 4564 Design-Driven Innovation (Half Course)
- 4579 The Dark Side of Capitalism? Pirates, Mavericks, and Industrial Renewal (Half Course)
- 4580 Reputation Management (Half Course)
- 4591 Business and Markets
Note: Not all elective courses are offered each year. 0.5 credits may be substituted with courses approved each year by the Director of the Certificate Program and the HBA Program Director.
Sustainability certificate students are expected to engage in four exclusive, sponsored events:
- Full-day immersion experience hosted off-site by leaders from different sectors
- Live case with real-time dilemmas presented by the executive team
- Half-day alumni reunion, mentorship and recruiting event
- Closing ceremonies
Certificate students receive the first invitations to exclusive events, including conferences, dinners, guest speakers and other networking events. These events are not required, but are excellent opportunities to learn and network.
Each student has the opportunity (should they choose) to be paired with an individual mentor during the certificate.
Each year, students work closely with a series of Executives in Residence, who represent the range of best practices in sustainability in Canada, and globally, that year.
The program has limited enrollment. The application for admission consists of a standard 'fill-in-the-blanks' form with three written-answer questions, plus a biography, photo and up-to-date resume (see form above). For more information or to submit your completed application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
HBA Sustainability Certificate Alumni
This program is generously supported by the RBC Foundation.