University Students Applying to Ivey
University students can apply directly to the Ivey HBA during their second year (or higher) of full-time university study.
Applying from Western
Many students use their first two years of university to explore a variety of academic interests. Students at Western who are interested in pursuing a business program have the opportunity to apply to the Ivey HBA Program from any faculty or program in their second year.
Approximately 2/3 of our Ivey HBA class are formerly Ivey AEOs (pre-admission status attained after secondary school), the remaining 1/3 are students from Western and other universities who discover an interest in business during their first two years of study.
Review the requirements for applying to the Ivey HBA Program (see below) and contact our office if you have any questions about how these requirements relate to your academic experience.
Applying from Another University
It is very competitive to transfer to Ivey from another university. We have a limited number of places available for transfer applicants and welcome applicants who discover an interest in business after studying in a different discipline for their first two years. While certainly not impossible, it may be more difficult to transfer if you are coming from a commerce program at another university. Students in their third year or higher of a commerce program at another university are not eligible for the HBA program.
Business 2257 or Equivalent Pre-requisite
All students who wish to pursue Ivey’s HBA Program must complete the Business 2257 course at Western or an approved equivalent from another recognized institution. Business 2257 is a second year, full credit introductory accounting course covering financial and managerial accounting, business analysis and an entrepreneurial feasibility study.
Review the list of currently accepted Business 2257 equivalents at other institutions to ensure you are completing an approved combination of courses at your university.
If your courses are not on the Business 2257 equivalent listing, please forward the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of January for review if you wish to be considered for admission the following September:
- Detailed course syllabus for each course including the name and edition of the textbooks.
- Daily class assignment schedule including topics, questions, exercises and problems assigned from the textbook.
- During the course evaluation process, you may be asked to submit the current textbooks if Ivey's Pre-Business Department does not have access to the information for courses completed at universities in Canada.
- Textbooks for each course completed at universities outside of Canada are required to complete the course evaluation and can be mailed to:
Ivey Business School
Attn: HBA Office
1255 Western Road
London ON CAN N6G 0N1
Before submitting course information for review, please refer to Western's Business 2257 course outline to ensure your courses are similar in content.
Business 2257 can also be completed during Intersession (May-June) at Western. Information on Intersession registration is available on Western’s Office of the Registrar’s website or by contacting 519-661-2100 or email@example.com.
What We Look For
- Complete years 1 & 2 (or more) at Western or any other university. Pursue any course of study at any university and ensure that you:
- Maintain a full course load over two years of university (equivalent of 10.0 Western courses).
- Achieve a minimum average of 70% in 10.0 university courses completed including Business 2257.
- Complete a secondary school mathematics course for students bound for university or an equivalent.
- Complete Western's Business 2257 course or equivalent. View a list of accepted equivalents at Business 2257 Equivalents.
- Achieve a minimum grade of 70% in Business 2257 or equivalent.
- A competitive Ivey HBA application includes:
- Demonstrated leadership in extracurricular activities, community involvement, and work experience
- 80%+ average on 10.0 full courses (or the equivalent) at any university (if at another university, these courses must be acceptable to transfer to Western). The minimum average to transfer to Western is 70%. The average needed for admission to Ivey HBA may be much higher.
Once applicants have met these requirements (typically in their second year of university), they apply during their second year. Students may apply after three years of university as well (unless they are applying from a commerce program). Students may find that their current curriculum prevents them from taking Business 2257. We allow students to take a maximum of 1.0 full course (of the 10.0 full courses required for admission) during the Intersession period (May-June) at Western or another university - Business 2257 Equivalents