Wealth Management | Vancouver, BC | Founded: 2015 | Employees: 66 | www.canalyst.com
PHONE: (888) 604-5750 | LINKEDIN PROFILE | BLOOMBERG PROFILE | TWITTER
Last updated December 20, 2018 | To download a PDF version, click here.
Canalyst is a cloud-based fundamental equity research database that provides analysts, portfolio managers, Directors of Research, and CIOs with accurate ad up-to-date models on most public equities in North America.
Damir Hot: Co-founder & CEO (2015-Present). Previously: Transition Consultant, Splunk (2015-2015); VP Customer Development, Metafor Software (2014-2015); VP Sales, Pulse Energy (2008-2013); Project Manager, StemCell Technologies (2008-2008); Technical Marketing Manager, Bycast Inc (2005-2008); Junior QA Engineer, OSI Maritime Systems (2004-2004). Education: BASc, Engineering Physics, Computer Science Specialization, The University of British Columbia.
James Rife: Co-Founder & Head of Equities (2015-Present). Previously: Assistant Portfolio Manager, Haber Trilix Advisors (2011-2012); Research Analyst, Fidelity Investments (2006-2011). Education: B.Comm, Finance, The University of British Columbia.
Canalyst was created by James Rife, a veteran portfolio manager, who needed a quick and efficient way to expand coverage and quickly analyze a broad range of companies. The product started a personal tool for analyzing a couple hundred stocks. The company now works with a verity of clients from long-only asset managers to startup hedge funds across many geographies. The company first started with providing equity research for Canadian equities, then expanded to include research for US equities.
Canalyst raised its first seed round of $2.7 Million from Vanedge Capital on August 29th 2016. Canalyst raised a second round of funding on June 8th 2017 from WorldQuant Ventures, however, the deal amount was not disclosed.
Key Corporate Developments
October 25, 2016: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161025005098/en/Canalyst-Launches-Fundamental-Model-Database-Covering-3000
Canalyst targets four main types of customers: analysts, portfolio managers, directors of research, and founders/CIOs. Canalyst’s value proposition to these customers is described below:
- Ability for customers to react quickly to earnings reports, M&A activity, and macro shocks with access to unbiased, up-to-date, accurate models.
- Provide small to medium buy-side investors with access to combined modelling output of 40+ equity research analysts.
- Saving time buy-side investors used to spend on modelling and equity research and allowing them to spend more time on higher value activities such as researching their investment opportunities and analyze insight and making investment decisions.
- Reducing sell-side reliance on models, screens, and comps.
- Canalyst’s main product offering is a database of up-to-date fundamental models of nearly every public equity in North America. Canalyst build all its models directly from company filings. They are updated quarterly and whenever new data is released. To ensure accuracy of models, the models go through a manual review from sector-focused analysts at every update. All data is sourced directly from 10-Qs and 10-Ks, and multiple layers of quantitative check are built in with the use of technology. Each model contains information from the three statements, operating stats from the MD&A, valuation metrics, margin, analysis, and a revised income statement. Each model also features working drivers, allowing users to analyses scenarios and outcomes. Access to the web portal containing all the research is sold as a subscription.
- Canalyst offers a free post-quarterly newsletter.
- Canalyst also offers free access to a library containing current and upcoming content including webinars, eBooks, and the quarterly newsletter.
Canalyst uses cloud technology to expose its database of equity reach with subscribers.
Canalyst provides easy immediate access to unlocked excel models for download directly through the secure web portal.
Canalyst is a B2B company that employs its own sales and marketing teams to reach customers.
- AlphaSense: AlphaSense is an intelligent search engine that uses AI to gather business insights. The company aimes to semantically index and organize global investment and market research data.
- Sentieo: Sentieo is an equity research platform that uses AI to provide investors with deeper and faster insights from traditional and emerging data sources.
- S&P Capital IQ: S&P Capital IQ provides research and information about companies, people, securities, industries, and markets worldwide to financial institutions, advisory companies, and corporations through its web and excel based applications.
Corporate Profile Created By: Kunj Patel, Ivey HBA 2019