Capital Markets & Trading | Toronto, ON | Founded: 2014 | Employees: 20 | www.hockeystick.co
Last updated December 14, 2018 | To download a PDF version, click here.
Hockeystick Inc. provides data tools for companies, investors and governments to leverage data to drive greater performance and better returns in the private market. Additionally, the company is aiming to create the largest free, open source database of Canadian startups.
Raymond Luk: Founder and CEO (2014-Present). Previously: Founder and CEO, Flow Ventures (2005-Present); Founder, Flow Consulting Inc. (2004-Present); Co-Founder, Scalability (2012-2015); Co-Founder, Prologue Lifestyle (2010-2014); Founder and Managing Partner, Year One Labs (2010-2013); Member of the Board, Anges Quebec (2010-2011); VP Operations, Aptilon (2005-2008); Founder and CEO, Opendesk Corporation (2000-2004); Founder and CEO, HBE Software (1997-2000). Education: EMBA (2009), Queen’s University; BMus (1996), McGill University.
Ken Ip: Director of Engineering (Present). Previously: Founder, Rebase Labs Inc. (2014-Present); Senior Developer, Planswell (2016-2017); CTO, Jugnoo (2013-2014), Partner, Push Pull Labs (2012-2014); Consultant, Ryatta Group (2010-2011); Trading Assistant, TD Securities (2007-2008). Education: MBET (2010), University of Waterloo.
Han Ryoo: Head of Product (2018-Present). Previously: Advisory Board Member, Coinbio Inc. (2018-Present); Co-Founder and Head of Product, Overbond (2015-2018); Director of Operations, Plooto (2015-2016); Director of Business Development, TravelFlan (2014-2015); Debt Capital Markets, CIBC (2010-2014). Education: B.B.A., Wilfred Laurier University; BMath, University of Waterloo.
Hockeystick Inc. was founded in 2014 with the aim of building a private database on Canadian startups. Angel investors, venture capitalists, accelerators and government bodies could subscribe to the platform to track the progress of portfolio companies and analyze potential investments. In April 2018, Hockeystick Inc. launched a spinoff project; a free, open source data base that documents the entire Canadian startup landscape.
Hockeystick Inc. has raised $1.5 million in equity financing, $600,000 of which was sourced from BDC Venture Capital, LaunchPad Venture Group, York Angel Investors and Spark Angel Group. To finance the open source project, the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario will provide up to $2.5 million as part of the initiative from the Lazaridis Institute for the Management of Technology Enterprise at Waterloo University.
Key Corporate Developments
Press releases: https://about.hockeystick.co/press-media
Apr, 2017: Hockeystick and The Lazaridis Institute Launch National Scale-Up
Nov 29, 2017: Hockeystick Acquires Launchspot
Apr 18, 2018: Angel Capital Association and Hockeystick Announce Long-Term Partnership
Hockeystick Inc. uses their platform to offer solutions for two main customer types:
- Private Data – the service automates the data collection on the portfolios of accelerators, venture capitalists, private equity funds, angel groups and government bodies. Hockeystick Inc. then analyzes the data and provides valuable insights on the individual performance of each company in a standardized format.
- Public Data – includes basic data on private companies including company name, industry, principals and funding sources. This free database will connect entrepreneurs seeking funding and investors. As the database grows, Hockeystick Inc. plans to mine the data to find insights which they can sell as a SaaS product.
- Open Database: database leverages open and proprietary data sources to help individuals find, track and analyze Canadian startups.
- Deal Flow: automates the sourcing, tracking, and management of opportunities with configurable workflows. It was designed to satisfy the requirement of multiple tasks, like investment and application management.
- Reporting: automates and streamlines the reporting process for all stakeholders while ensuring that investors get the right information at the right time. The tool allows individuals to choose built-in templates and automatically collects financial, key performance indicators and performance data.
- CRM: an organized and centralized database for all of the entities that an individual is monitoring and tracking. Allows for the storage of company details, completed reports, deal documents and contracts.
- Dashboard: a tool that allows individuals to build data visualization platforms from scratch or customize pre-built dashboards to identify trends and make data-driven decisions.
The data in Hockeystick Inc.’s open database is provided by qualified public sources, including government open data, company and fund websites, press releases and direct contributions which is then consolidated using an application programming interface.
Hockeystick Inc. currently has basic data on over 14,000 startups, as well as listings for 247 venture capital firms, 59 angel groups, 252 accelerators and 572 government programs.
Hockeystick Inc. and the Lazaridis Institute for the Management of Technology Enterprise put on DRIVE Conference, a two-day event focused on inspiring and educating scaleup ecosystems around the globe. DRIVE takes place at Wilfred Laurier University in Waterloo, ON from February 20-22nd, 2019.
- Startupxplore – (Valencia, Es) Startupxplore provides individuals access to investment opportunities in startups that have passed a detailed screening and analysis.
- Dealroom – (Amsterdam, Nl) Dealroom helps individuals identify and research promising companies, find the best investor matches and spot trends in industries.
Corporate Profile Created By: Owen Ferguson, Ivey HBA 2019