The major objectives of this course are to learn how to lead teams effectively by leveraging those leader character dimensions that result in effective collective behavior in teams. To gain an understanding of how a leader’s character and commitment to lead contribute to shape a positive organizational culture and sustain organizational effectiveness, and to improve your leadership skills by practicing key leadership behaviors needed to develop talent effectively.
The classes in the course are divided into three modules:
1. LEADING TEAMS
The first 3-class module is designed to develop your team leadership skills, by providing a deep insight into how and why collective phenomena influence how people in their teams, regards to their tasks, their leader, and their fellow team members.
2. SHAPING A POSITIVE CULTURE
The second 3-class module is designed to develop your understanding of the concept of organizational culture, and how leaders can (re)shape it. We will discuss the determinants of organizational culture and its interplay with a firm’s senior leadership as drivers of organizational performance.
3. DEVELOPING TALENT
This 3-class module is designed to provide insight into how to develop talented individuals and develop skills for managing key work relationships.
At the end of this module, students will be able to apply Mathieu and colleagues’ model of team effectiveness (TEM) to understand how to:
- Diagnose problems in existing teams;
- Intervene to improve a team’s functioning; and,
- Structure and manage a team to ensure high-level performance.
SHAPING A POSITIVE CULTURE
At the end of this module, students will be able apply Galbraith’s STAR alignment model and use it to:
- to evaluate the extent to which an organization’s culture is virtuous, non-virtuous or toxic;
- Identify the role of strength of commitment to lead to improve processes, practices;
- increase the likelihood of attaining business goals; and,
- align organizational-level systems so that a firm can attain and sustain growth.
At the end of this module, students will be able to explain how a leader’s characteristics can be used to:
- evaluate an employee’s performance from a broader perspective;
- intervene to enhance and develop talented employees; and,
- build constructive relationships at work with other coworkers.